+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spline

Default spline

I've read plenty of rod building books, and they are all consistant in their inconsitantcy on spline. So, what do y'all think? Do I put my guides on the spline, or 180 dgrees from the spline?

Swamp

I was told that either will work. It just changes the action fo the rod a ittle for the forward or back cast and I can't rmemeber which it was. Lost the explantation I had it a computer glitch.

Rick

Why not read the rod building section here in the features section. Thats all I needed and evrything was nice and clear, step by step.

OK Here's the way I understand it. If the guides are on the weak side of the spine you will get a little extra boost when picking up the line. Orvis does it that way. If you put the guides on the strong side you may get a little more casting power.

I think this is all subjective and either way is right.

You don't want the guides on the side of the spine some claime that that impairs casting accuracy.

Temporailly mount the guides and cast it both ways and see which you think is better. My best advice.

------------------
    Be the heron!
    Mike

Totally disregard the spine. Find the Stiffest axis, which may or may not be the spine......then choose to put guides "On" the stiffest axis....or find the weakest axis and choose to place the guides on the weakest axis. Or...do as manafacturer's do and simply look and find the straightest axis and mount the guides on the straightest axis. I mount my guides so that the stiffest axis is on the top of the rod and therefore in play when I am hooked into a fish.

Ya know, I have noticed on the past three graphites that I built that the spline is getting more and more difficult to ascertain....you think that is due to better quality control or am I just getting older?

dleo,

Possibly on the former. Definitely on the latter. (:

Allan

Now Plain Old Jim how would you go about finding the stiffest axis? Wouldn't that be the spline anyway? Also how does this benefit from not finding the spline. It seems though it shares the same ideas and placing guides on the spline or 180 from it right?

Tim, I am not trying to do a cop out on the spine question. It is cussed and discussed constantly. I finally came to the conclusion this is one area that no one agrees on. Still. If you read page 18 of Tom Kirkmans book Rod Building Guide...."There is one last option to consider however, and it seems to completely disregard the spine in terms of guide position. Still it offers for many builders the best rod in terms of overall attributes. During you attempts to locate the spine, you have no doubt noticed that just as any blank has a plane of least resistance, it also has a plane of greatest resistance. This plane, sometimes referred to as the "hard side" MAY OR MAY NOT BE DIRECTLY 180 DEGREES OPPOSITE THE SPINE. MOST TIMES IT WON'T BE." I am probably in error in stating that the hard side on top provides most power when hooked onto a fish and fighting to pull him in as all other books say you have this effect with the hard side on bottom....with the guides on the bottom on the hard side. It is just how I feel about it. I am probably wrong. But you can read and read and read about the spine. You can have a weakest axis, a stiffest axis, a straightest axis, a spine and a natural curve of that blank. According to what I have read the they can coincide with each other or be totally different from each other. You can go to rodbuilding.org and read to your hearts content. Read the FAQ's, go the Library and read the topics, especially the Homebrew Spine finder, and read all the posts icw "Spine". I came to the conclusion that in this instance I simply am going to have to do my own testing and as Mr. Sinatra said....I do it MY WAY. OH by the way, you can also go to Features on this board and select rod building...click on a subject and scroll to the bottom and find ROD BUILDING TIPS ARCHIVES...You can click on that and do some reading as well.

Good Luck
    Jim

I guess I pretty much killed this thread and put it in it's tomb. I din't get much of a response or even a thanks for all my effort. That not really the point. Just odd how the thread died at birth.

My first point in my first post, find the stiffest axis WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE SPINE/SPLINE.....was actually an effort to help answer question.

Let's say you find the SPINE at 12:00 noon, straight up. Now you find the weakest axis at 4pm. The opposite of the spine is at 6pm. You find the stiffest axis at 9pm. You choose to place your guides on the spine....or 180 opposite the spine....What have you got....? Did you really build the rod for the best action of that blank? When you bend the tip down and let go will it go back and forth in a straight line or will it kinda oscillate like a sine wave? Will it cast as far or accurate...??

Well, I guess I dunno....cause I am just a rookie and haven't tied on the guides to my first rod I am building yet....so I reckon I shouldn't even be commenting. (and this still doesn't take into consideration the natural curve of that blank nor the straightest axis, nor the modulus, nor the type of fishing it is being built for)

So....sorry guys

Jim

+ Reply to Thread