+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stripping Guides

Default Stripping Guides

What would be the effect of using larger stripping guides than that which come with a kit? it seem to me larger guides should increase the speed I can strip in line this is important for my type of fishing I need to bring in my line very fast.

I like to use oversize stripper guides on my rods.

Mostly because I like the look better and I believe they provide less line resistance. They are easier the thread with a doubled fly line.

One downside however, sometimes they don't fit well into a standard rod sock.

I read somewhere that larger stripping guides allow the flyline to pass easier. Also if you put the stripping guide in line with your stripping hand, instead of on the spine, it's supposed to help. As for the problem with fitting in the rod bag, homemade bags solve that nicely.

A larger stripping guide won't help you strip any faster. However, some say it helps to get the line moving into the guides better when shooting.

LA Garcia's book "suggests" offsetting the stripper guide 20 degrees. Al Campbels rod building series recommends oversized stripper guides.....(I think that is where I read it) .....I have asked for opinions on the offset stripper guide and replies from some pretty good rod builders was that it made little or no difference. If the difference is that hard to detect....I am not going to even try it. I have actually had many recommendations for smaller stripper guides. But then, I am building a 4 wt stream rod, and I do not need to strip IN line fast as you do. Just FYI for what I have read. Good Luck.

------------------
    Plain old Jim, I'm Plain...and I'm old.

It is my understanding that oversizing does nothing but add weight to the rod. You can do a test by simply taping on the oversize guide or guides and do some test casting and see what work best for you. The same with off setting the stripper guide. Allyn

If you go to Globel-Dorbers web page They will tell you more about building short fly rods with oversized guides. I built two of their 3wt 6' rods with oversized guides and can not see any improvement in performance... FB.

I have used larger guides for a long time now. They do help - BUT that is only in allowing the line to shoot well.

For me what Rod Building is about is in having the choice to design the rod. Each decision made DOES affect the rods final performance. In my opinion what makes a good rod builder is the ability to make the right choices in designing a rod to do what the rod is intended to do.

Selection of guides, guide placement, number of guides, type of guides, type of handle, type of reel seat, blank length, blank action, etc., etc. all will have an affect on whether the final rod will perform the specific task it was designed for.

IMHO larger guides will allow the line to flow more smoothly through the guides. A rod designed for fishing where distance casting is necessary this will help (some casters may not be experienced enough to take advantage) Larger guides on a rod for fishing where accuracy is a necessity may add weight and therefore hinder the action of the blank in this case smaller guides may be called for (again some casters may not be experienced enough to take advantage).

I have built over 1000 rods and have found the beauty of building your own rod is the satisfaction of making the right choices and the lessons learned when making the wrong choices. Yes I have built some real dogs out of excellent high-end blanks but I have also built some beauties out of cheap blanks. It is all in the choices made.

I know this really does not answer your question - to attempt that I would say that larger guides likely would not increase the speed of the retrieve. They should help a bit in shooting distance (We are squeezing out the every inch of performance here). When fishing Bonita in So. California we used to put the rod between our legs and strip in line with both hands. That would definitely help the speed of the retrieve more than larger guides.

------------------
    --------
    Let No One Walk Alone
    ><))))'>------<'((((><
    Bill
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Somewhere I read about using a relatively large first stripper and a second stripper one size smaller about 4" above the first stripper. The claim was it tamed the loops and squiggles that naturally form in a flowing line while shooting. I've put this configuration on the last couple of rods I built.

I like it, and the rods with that configuration do seem to shoot line nicely.

Wish I could give proper credit.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread