+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What? Wolves Help Preserve Yellowstone Streams

Default What? Wolves Help Preserve Yellowstone Streams

Some new findings from Yellowstone Park. Return of Wolves preserves the streams.

https://animals.howstuffworks.com/ma...or-streams.htm
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

And no doubt wolves keep some of the human traffic at bay. Think hunters, hikers, campers, and most of all fishermen, that some think are the destroyers of our stream side habitat.
    Dave

Hmmm. I personally think this is a far reach for the true reason for vegetation regrowth. Anytime they used the term (title) scientist, I get skeptical. Who funded the study? I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent decision to take the Wolf off the protected species list. I know many "scientist" are against that for various reasons. Ranchers are for it because of cattle lose to the wolf. Just wondering.
    God Bless America

John,
    You're expecting a logical explanation? I turned the page when I read "funded study". WHO in hell thought it was worth to fund a "study" to validate this PREPOSTEROUS conclusion . To call it a S T R E T C H is adding dignity to a bunch of tree huggin BS. I do , however, wish I had chosen "environmental studies" ( not available in 65'-69',) at UW to earn the credentials to wear a khaki shirt and a forum to apply for funding for similar "studies". As a result. I had to WORK for a living.

Mark
    Last edited by Marco; 11-19-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Mark,
    I thought this might give you a charge. At least two of us feel that way.
    God Bless America

It's the vegetarians and vegan that are the problem, grazing on the stream side.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    Some new findings from Yellowstone Park. Return of Wolves preserves the streams.

https://animals.howstuffworks.com/ma...or-streams.htm

This science has been known anecdotally to those of us who live here for at least ten years. Probably more like 15. When I first started fishing here on family trips from 93 to 99, the streamside vegetation on all small meadow-type streams was grazed to less than knee high with the exception of the cottonwoods. Nowadays the willows often form full canopies and the beavers are returning (we got 14-15" brook trout out of beaver ponds on a creek that shall remain nameless this season). This is despite the fact that since 1995, the year of the wolf reintroduction, the following were drought and high-heat years: 98, 2000-2007, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016. This should have knocked the vegetation down and on some steep SW-facing slopes there are signs of heat/drought stress on plants (this is why the Gardner has been prone to mudslides for the past ten years). There are less elk to graze the bushes but more importantly they don't hang out for as long in the valleys. They're much more often on the hillsides where they are more surefooted than the wolves. I see this all the time even on the lower Gardner River where wolves almost never go. The elk used to hang out for hours in the stream bottoms and now they are much more likely bust across and run up on the hillsides. We're seeing a lot more deer in these riparian areas because they like the brush much more. They do a lot less damage, too, because they're ecologically "browsers" rather than "grazers." They tend to nibble and move on rather than eat everything down to bare dirt.

Trophic cascades are cool.
    Owner, Yellowstone Country Fly Fishing
    Head Guide, Parks' Fly Shop
    Fly Designer, Montana Fly Company
    Author, Yellowstone Country Flies and River Characters

Thanks for the reply Long for Cutts, great explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Longs for Cutts View Post
    This science has been known anecdotally to those of us who live here for at least ten years. Probably more like 15. When I first started fishing here on family trips from 93 to 99, the streamside vegetation on all small meadow-type streams was grazed to less than knee high with the exception of the cottonwoods. Nowadays the willows often form full canopies and the beavers are returning (we got 14-15" brook trout out of beaver ponds on a creek that shall remain nameless this season). This is despite the fact that since 1995, the year of the wolf reintroduction, the following were drought and high-heat years: 98, 2000-2007, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016. This should have knocked the vegetation down and on some steep SW-facing slopes there are signs of heat/drought stress on plants (this is why the Gardner has been prone to mudslides for the past ten years). There are less elk to graze the bushes but more importantly they don't hang out for as long in the valleys. They're much more often on the hillsides where they are more surefooted than the wolves. I see this all the time even on the lower Gardner River where wolves almost never go. The elk used to hang out for hours in the stream bottoms and now they are much more likely bust across and run up on the hillsides. We're seeing a lot more deer in these riparian areas because they like the brush much more. They do a lot less damage, too, because they're ecologically "browsers" rather than "grazers." They tend to nibble and move on rather than eat everything down to bare dirt.

Trophic cascades are cool.
    Yep, that's a great explanation and a good thing for the environment.

I agree. A very detailed explanation, indeed. Learning a lot from this thread alone.

By the way, just in case anyone’s interested, my old associate is selling a few 20 inch wheels. If anyone’s interested, feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by BobNevins; 10-01-2019 at 11:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread