+ Reply to Thread

Thread: McMurray Ant

Default McMurray Ant

i found these bodies at the bottom of a storage box

2. Default

What a coincidence! I am re-reading the late Art Lee's "Fishing Dry Flies for Trout". Art recommends that when you can't get trout to rise to any of your Dry Flies then it is time to tie on a McMurray's. He says that the McMurray ant pattern has saved the day for him many times.

I'm going to have to try and make those

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
    I'm going to have to try and make those
    I keep promising myself the same thing. They really worked.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by nfrechette View Post
    This is an excellent illustration. I'll plan to give this a try. Thanks.
    God Bless America

If you are going to make McMurray Ants, there are two more modern adaptations that work equally well. I have found them easier than making balsa wood bodies.

The first method uses foam cylinders cut to size for the body segments. You can buy pre-made red, black or white foam cylinders at fly shops. Cut the foam cylinders to the correct sizes for the thorax and body segments. Then with a sewing needle to thread the segments onto mono alternating the short thorax and long body segments. Glue them into place with super glue. Cut the mono later to form the individual bodies. I tied the McMurray Ant below using that method.

If you want to coat the foam, they can be painted with liquid latex (Rub-R-Mold) which can be bought at hobby stores. If you are going to paint the foam, you can cut rectangular strips of foam from a foam sheet and then use the rectangular pieces cut to size. The latex paint will smooth over the edges.

If you can't decide when to use a red ant or a black ant, make up some McMurray ants with a red thorax and a black body. They work. As you can see in the pre-made Rod Yerger bodies, you can also make yellow jacket and bee bodies.

The second adaptation shown to me by Brian Larson of Wisconsin uses dimensional fabric paint from a hobby or craft store. Dimensional fabric paint comes in various colors. The paint is applied to thread to form the body segments. Since it is dimensional paint it will form a smooth shiny body on the thread. There is no need to paint the bodies to provide a shiny ant like surface, since the entire bodies are composed of paint. Different colors can be used from black to brown to cinnamon red. After the paint dries, cut off the individual bodies with the thread connectors and tie the flies.

http://dubuqueflyfishers.org/Swap99/blant.html

You can make flying ant patterns by tying in a bit of crystal flash as the wings.

Either of these two methods make wonderful ants and they are much easier and durable than the original McMurray balsa wood bodies. The dimensional paint can even form the realistic natural tapering of the ant body.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Like Norm, I still have some of the original Mc Murray ant bodies...

I have found that it is a lot easier (and more productive ) to use bodies fashioned from foam...

FOAM CYLINDER CINNAMON FLYING ANTs,#18s...

Rainy's makes a wide selection of foam cylinders for ants and parachute posts - no need to run Mono through cut sections...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3p8Hrg6_V8

Just pick the size and color to be used...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread