+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hat magnifier

Default Hat magnifier

Ok... Here?s the deal. I?m at the age to where I need ?assistance? in viewing close up, as my arms only go out so far... When I tie flies, I?m wearing ?cheaters.?
    When I?m on the water, I?m wearing a baseball hat - with a slight curve in the brim. Because of this curve, the ?under the brim? clip - on cheaters aren?t practical - for they get in the way and hang too low blocking my vision. I?m too old to wear a ?flat brimmed? baseball hat that the kids wear today, and I?d look ridiculous wearing one... I also don?t want to have to drag out a pair of cheater glasses each time I have to tie on, nor do I want to wear a pair around my neck.
    Is there such a type out there that would flip up to the top of the brim and out of the way altogether? Thanks in advance for any help.

Don’t know why question marks are all over my words above... Gotta love computers...

I am in the process of going through cataract surgery and am hopeful that much will change with my eyesight. I have used this clip-on for years attached to my polarized glasses when needed ...

http://duranglers.com/product/clip-on-flip-focal/

I found these extremely slim reading glasses this past Fall at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone and they worked well on the Firehole and Madison for tying on small soft hackles, Baetis and midges:

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast Brookie View Post
    Ok... Here?s the deal. I?m at the age to where I need ?assistance? in viewing close up, as my arms only go out so far... When I tie flies, I?m wearing ?cheaters.?
    When I?m on the water, I?m wearing a baseball hat - with a slight curve in the brim. Because of this curve, the ?under the brim? clip - on cheaters aren?t practical - for they get in the way and hang too low blocking my vision. I?m too old to wear a ?flat brimmed? baseball hat that the kids wear today, and I?d look ridiculous wearing one... I also don?t want to have to drag out a pair of cheater glasses each time I have to tie on, nor do I want to wear a pair around my neck.
    Is there such a type out there that would flip up to the top of the brim and out of the way altogether? Thanks in advance for any help.
    I wear curved brim hats and love the hat eyes that clip on the front of the brim. The magnifier hanging under the brim has never bothered me but here's an alternative you may want to check out.

https://www.flexspex.com/

I picked up a pair of Coyotes that have readers incorporated into the lenses off Sierra Trading Post. Costa also makes them. Google polarized glasses with readers and you'll see a bunch.
    Isaiah 41:10

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    I am in the process of going through cataract surgery and am hopeful that much will change with my eyesight. I have used this clip-on for years attached to my polarized glasses when needed ...

http://duranglers.com/product/clip-on-flip-focal/

PT/TB
    I use some just like the clip-on flip-down ones here and like them a lot. The flip-down mechanism in mine is just about worn out, so they don't stay up very well. I think I need to order some new ones. Thanks for the link PT!
    Ted

I also wear the hat eyes magnifiers on a curved brim baseball cap with out any issues ymmv

Whilst I always wear my readers on a cord around my neck, Cary has always used the hat-eyes on a curved brim baseball hat. I will, however look into getting the sunglasses with the readers in them. I didn't know such an animal was even available! Thank you!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I've had these old Orvis glasses longer than I can remember; they're polarized and have magnifiers built into the bottom of the lenses like a bi-focal - I'd be lost without 'em! Don't think they're available anymore (I think Vuarnet made these) but I'm sure there are others out there...

There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread