+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grass Carp - 6 MAY 18

Default Grass Carp - 6 MAY 18

I took my daughter fishing to see if she could hook/land a carp. We walked to a drainage pipe area, and saw a pod of carp. I had her get into position & wait for a lone feeder that strayed from the pod. While scanning the water, I saw a lone grass carp making its way towards my position. After making a handful of casts to position the fly, it finally bit on a fl fuchsia SJW. It didn't fight as hard, and appeared to play dead while netting. It got real active once in net. Took a quick weight check, release, & went to see how my daughter was doing. She's getting there; just has to put a little more speed & power into the cast. She'll be stoked when she finally lands one. Tight lines!

https://youtu.be/6ov6eAjVEhg

So cool you are able to get those grass carp. I'm convinced the local stocked triploid Grass Carp have completely different behaviors than the naturally reproducing river fish.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

@FishnDave Thanks. I've been trying hard to get the eat on video. What usually happens is I'll turn on the camera, make a bad cast or get tangled up, then I'll shut the camera off. Then I'll hook a fish, and camera on. With grass carp, I think you just have to see if they're on the feed.

+ Reply to Thread