+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fly Lines

I found this Online - maybe it will help. https://guiderecommended.com/best-fl...atching-trout/

Excellent site and information! Thanks
    God Bless America

Once upon a time .... in my formative early flyfishing days, about the only fly lines I knew where level and the more sophisticated double taper. It would be a time for I knew about weight forward lines. But with the old level line using a popper, those L/M bass and gills couldn't care less. Later on with the trout and graduating to the double taper and dries. Now the good thing about those two lines is you can reverse the ends and get a little more mileage out of the lines. But I take care of my fly lines, clean them and such, and they last me quite awhile. Especially since I have a "few" different size reels, lines, and fly rods. Is there any hope for me?

Don't think there is any hope for you Dale. Just kidding...You make good points. When I started this thread, I was going to change the line on one of my reels and started looking around for a good dry fly line. I was amazed at the number of lines being advertised for what I would considered to be a general purpose line. I understand double taper, weigh forward and all of that. But, within that were all of these other features now offered which are really advertising gimmicks in my humble opinion, or I'm not sophisticated enough to know the difference. In any case, I took Brad's advice and ordered a good reasonably priced line. I feel sure my catch rate won't change and that's fine. I just enjoy being on our streams.
    God Bless America

John, I forgot to tell you that Hook and Hackle offers a 20% discount to Veterans. All, you have to do is call them for your order and let them know. They will take it from there. I see that you have already ordered your line. Sorry I didn't get this posted sooner, but you can use it the next time you need something.
    Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Okay. So now I have replace the 40 year old line on one of my reels. Now to give it a workout! Thanks for the thread. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Rever View Post
    Okay. So now I have replace the 40 year old line on one of my reels. Now to give it a workout! Thanks for the thread. . . .
    So, what did you think of new line on that rod? Note: Clean your guides while you are at it and take 40 years worth of junk off those to. We want to hear a report of your new Whiz Bang outfit.

I have a Cortland 444 Peach, in a WF5F on one of my reels that's still going strong after more than 10 years. I love that line.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

For fly fishing with rods five weight and lower, I am not that particular. I tend to buy whatever I can find on sales for the lower weight rods. Some of those rods cast better with standard weight rods, and some cast better with the "half weight" heavy lines.

My experience has been that the higher end Scientific Angler fly lines last longer than RIO or Cortland lines, especially if I use the lines for warm water fishing. Fishing in ponds or rivers with silt and sand dirties up the fly lines and Scientific Anglers fly lines are easier to keep clean and slick, so they fish well longer than other lines. That being said, I usually buy fly lines when I can get them on sale.

For heavier line weights where I am fishing with heavy, bulky flies, the fly line taper and design can make a big difference.

Do any of you feel in transferring from a double taper line to weight forward that you need to speed up your casting tempo?

I replaced my 40 year old Cortland DT with Scientific Angler Frequency WF. It seemed that I had more issues with my line snagging on my back cast. . .

+ Reply to Thread