+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reel Suggestions

Larry, I have a 9wt rod with a large arbor reel on it and I know all the things you say are true. And I know it's not really a good reason, but I just don't like the way they look. Also, I can't cast far enough to worry about picking up line faster .
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Jim, If you are traveling around your neighborhood and find a good garage sale, stop in and look around. I just found a whole box
    of fly tying material for $5. and in the bottom was a Pflueger Medalist 1495 1/2 with 4 extra spools. I mounted it on a Raintree I just
    finished. It's 8' 6" 3wt and it balances just fine for my handling and casting. Never can tell what you'll come up with. Best thing you
    can do is check your fishing buddies and try some of their reels with the closest to matching fly line and try everything you can. Then
    when you are ready to lay out the cash, at least you will be in the ball park.
    Best of luck Crunchy

Check out "rivertraditions.com" . Owner ( Dave Humphries) is a member here and has some very nice reels available. He even laser etches them for you!!
    Last edited by MikelC; 02-05-2018 at 05:40 AM.
    Work is something for people that don't fish.

I went with a Nautilus XM, gold anodized, I bought it from The Hungry Trout Fly Shop in Wilmington, NY. I go up there to fish every Memorial Day weekend. It's a great little shop outside of Lake Placid. I tried to upload a photo but it won't let me. Spent a lot more than I wanted to but I rolled my spare change to lessen the pain

Years ago I splurged and spent $79 on an Orvis Battenkill Disc. I liked it so much I bought another. Now you pay roughly the same for a spare spool. Now days, I'm seriously considering the new Battenkill click/pawl. I think they have that classic look, and they work flawlessly.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I agree with several of the folks. What I have learned over the past 30 years is the price to spend on a reel is directly related to the size of the fish. You really don't need a top of the line reel for stream fishing but for something like tarpon fishing go with the more expensive reels.

+ Reply to Thread