+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have experience with GSP thread?

Tried it some years & quickly binned it. It is far too slippy & like Kevlar thread would cut the fingers of you, was never any use as a tying thread to my mind.
    Others may have different opinions & as their right. I stick with Benecchi & find that one is as good if not better than any other make so why change.
    Tight Lines
    Last edited by Highlander; 05-06-2017 at 08:59 PM.

On my bench right now I have bobbins loaded with UTC G.S.P 100 AND 75. I really wish I could get 50 in more colors or at least a good tan/brown and a yellowish and olive or light olive would be nice. I like it but it took a learning curve for sure. Started using it on anything with deer/elk hair because it allowed me to pull as tight as I need to get the flare I'm looking for on each particular fly. Also doesn't seem to get brittle if you take a few years to use a spool. If you use an undercoat of white thread you can get a nice color dry or nymph body that won't change colors when wet. One of the A.K. Best theories I like is that dries in nature don't have a fuzzy body like a dubbed fly. Biots or quills make a nice semi shiny body but quills crack at the worst times. by laying down a thread base of white or other colors then layer a GSP body over the top I can get very realistic waxy/shiny bodies like some naturals and with a coat of head cement over them they hold up way past the time it takes me to lose them.

Blog Entries

Bike,
    Interesting take. Thank you.

I have placed an order. Decided to try for myself. Ordered the 75 in a few different colors. Will try to report back on how I do with it.

It is so strong and slick that using deer hair for spinning you can cut right thru the hair if you pull really hard.

Blog Entries

Ray,
    Thanks for the warning. Do you use it, or did you quit using it for that reason?

Blog Entries

First: my appreciation to JStockard. I ordered a number of spools of Ultra GSP thread las week and they arrived on KAUAI today. Very good/quick service.
    Next: I used a spool of the thread to tie an X-Caddis and had no problems at all.......EXCEPT......that my dull scissors which work on nylon thread had a hard time with GSP. I had to use my sharp scissors.

Byron,
    Don't use your scissors like on normal thread. Open them a little and slide them through the GSP. Works better.

Joe

Blog Entries

Thanks Joe, did do that.
    The thread worked well for me. Just had to mention cutting it to be accurate

I worry about my good scissors on GSP thread so I keep a razor blade handy to trim the stuff. I mainly use GSP for tying hair wing flies, but I like Bikebum's idea and will try using it for bodies.

Cliff

Blog Entries

Seems like it would be the easiest thread available to form a split thread dubbing loop??

+ Reply to Thread