+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jvise

Default Jvise

I have been considering for awhile to purchase a Jvise, and am interested in feedback from owners pertaining to their experiences with it. There appears to be a lot of support for it and accompanying products. I am leaning toward buying all the components of the Gooseneck Kit with the exception of the base. I own a workshop full of woodworking tools, so no problem making one for considerably less. What accessories would you suggest for tying trout flies? My understanding is the vise can be purchased customized in-terms of color. What are the color options, and any suggestions of possible colors to avoid in-terms of how tying lights may impact (e.g., reflecting light back at the tyer) it? Thanks.

Ron
    Last edited by RJD31; 04-27-2017 at 06:46 PM.

I received a Jvise as a Christmas present about 4 years ago, after the recommendation of Byron on this board. I couldn't be happier with it.

I upgraded from a Renzetti Traveler. I have the Pro stainless jaws and tie from size 22 midges to 4/0 streamers. It is much easier to work with the very small hooks with the Jvise jaws and they hold the large hooks much more securely as well.

I made my own base for the vise and bought a metal "desk stand" that attaches the vise stem to the wooden base. This allows for height adjustment and I have been very happy with it. I also bought the gallows tool, which I use occasionally, and the waste basket, which I couldn't live without. My vise is brushed stainless steel and brass and I have not had a problem with light reflecting from it. I use ambient lighting in the room and sometimes an articulated LED desk lamp.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do,
    Ted

Blog Entries

Jays vise's are wonderful

His website is: Jvice.com

Remember, it is jvice........not jviSe. As he is in S Africa.

Please go to his site and take a look. Has an order form available so you can look at options and prices.

Here's a link to a brief interview about some of the options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEqvG3kNDx8&sns=em
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-28-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Keep in mind that the spelling with the "c" may throw an email into the spam folder....happened to me.

Blog Entries

Thanks Ducksterman
    The Europeans mostly use "vice"
    I was trying to explain the spelling of Jay's website.

Totally understood, Bryon. I was just trying to warn the others if perhaps they were waiting for an email from Jay.

Blog Entries

Thanks Ducksteman. Gotcha
    By the way, how do you like yours?
    Do you know which number it is?
    I see he is over 1,000 now. Mine is #80, although I subsequently got additional jaws.

Huh. I have no idea what number mine is. Where does it say? I believe I got mine before Byron, though I'm not sure.

One suggestion is to ask for a little brass knob on the cam in addition to the rotation handle, if he hasn't already added it. I find it really adds to the aesthetics and ease of grabbing the cam. Got that suggestion from Doug Korn.
    Owner, Yellowstone Country Fly Fishing
    Head Guide, Parks' Fly Shop
    Fly Designer, Montana Fly Company
    Author, Yellowstone Country Flies and River Characters

I believe in the utube provided by Byron he says the # is inscribed on the inside surface between the jaws...actually haven't taken mine apart so haven't seen.

My vise number is on the plate on the wood base. I have wondered where one would find a # when they don't get the base.

Phil,
    Good ear. I viewed that video previously but didn't manage to catch the bit about the # on the inner jaw surface. However, I doubt it corresponds with the vise number. Jay states the jaws are numbered so he can match them during and after manufacturing. Also, his vises have come equipped with different jaw styles (std, pro, midge & Damasteel).

Ron,
    If you're not getting the wood base, you also won't be getting the extension arm or the carry bag priced in the kit. Plus your shipping will be about half. That's a good bit of savings right there. On that note, while I agree that Jay's wood base is costly, I feel it really does add to the vise's versatility.

If you have any use for bead dishes, his are nice. Only $10 each for the acetyl dish.

The stem knuckle is a neat option. Maybe not something you'd use everyday, but it's a quick and easy way of getting max clearance behind the jaws. Not many rotaries offer this angle adjustment, but it is a bit of a price bump.

The gallows is inexpensive and obvious. He states the articulating bobbin rest is popular, but I don't see its purpose over the standard rest.

Color anodizing options are shown on the order form. I don't think any color is going to affect your tying. Spending the $25 extra for color would be the last thing after everything else I wanted was accounted for in the budget. That said, if I were to get one in a color other than silver, i'd go all out with solid brass.

+ Reply to Thread