+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Under-Wader pants question

Default Under-Wader pants question

Anyone used the Cabelas Moisture Management underwader fleece-lined pants? How about the ones from Orvi$?

I was on a trip recently where I spent a lot of time driving from one spot to another trying to avoid the gusty wind, and found it a little strange to be walking around the parking lots and roadsides in my tight fitting fleece pants. Something that resembles a khaki pant is in order, just hoping to get some recommendations. Those fleece lined pants seemed to look like they'd fit the bill, just wondering what the quality is like. FYI, I usually fish in waters that are 55 degrees or colder.

Cheers in advance.

Dear Fly Fishing Texas,

In colder weather I wear a pair of Cabela's fleece wading pants. They are the cheaper pants, and not the moisture management pants.

Do you really care what you look like when you are going fishing? You're going fishing not to a formal.

If you are self conscious get a pair of sweat pants and wear them over the fleece.

In warmer weather I wear a pair of the Cabela's supplex pants with the zip off legs. Maybe you could wear a pair of those over a pair of polypropolene long johns if you want to look less dorky?

I prefer to look dorky, normal looking people give me a wide berth.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

I have never been a fan of any of the store-bought under wader fleece products. Most of them are 'unisex' models which is modern babble for 'too cheap to include a zippered fly'.

If you have a seamstress in the family you might try having a couple sets of underfleece custom built. You can pick out the weight of fabric you want as well as the color and have them tailored to your size. My wife has made these for me in Polartec 100,200 and 300. They are built off of a sleep pants pattern with slash pockets, elastic cuffs, a zippered fly and elastic waistband. The big pluses to these besides the fly are the ability to carry both wallet and keys and walk around in public without looking like a total geek. They are comfortable enough to use as pajamas in cold camping conditions and very useful to lounge around in or do camp chores. And best of all the material cost is around $15 a pair. I am assuming the labor will be a labor of love and hence no dollar amount is estimated. Ive

------------------
    IveofIone-Ivebrakesforlakes

Seeing that you're also in Texas, I may have a solution for you with something extra thrown in free. If you fish some at the coast that is.

I came to the realization that getting my legs stung at the coast sucks, and its usually jellyfish that do it. (never been sting-rayed) Wearing light nylon pants while wading fixes that problem. Mine are light enough to be perfectly cool, and dry out quick too.

They're also thin enough to wear on top of your fleece pants that you wear under your waders and keep you from looking like you're wearing tights.

If you never fish at the coast, just try wearing them when wet wading. Prevents burning those legs that are more used to seeing the underside of a desk than UV Rays. Keeps you from jumping when the minnows nip at your leg hairs too!

here's my favorite, but any similar pant would work just as well.
    [url=http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=4012771e-6050-4cef-96e7-419f3857f5a2:02f9e]http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=4012771e-6050-4cef-96e7-419f3857f5a2[/url:02f9e]

Just go for light weight, no cotton, and minimal pockets and zippers.

Ha ha ha ha, you're right Tim...who cares what you look like as long as you're catching fish?

The only reason I thought about it, and I should have mentioned it, was that one of the stops I made was at a public access site that also happens to be a lookout point above the water. I fish out of state most of the time and didnt know what to expect where I was going. I hopped out of my truck in my form fitting fleece pants to find myself looking at 3 kids, one of whom screams out "Mommy! There's a man in his underwear!" SO, it just got me to thinking, there has to be something that looks a little better.

As far as i can tell, the Cabelas pants do not have a fly, just a drawstring waist. the Orvi$ pants appear to have a button waist and a zippered fly.

Just wondering if either pair is comfortable, do they keep you fairly warm, do they do decent on warm sunny days after a cool morning, etc etc? No seamstresses in my family that can still sew due to arthritis.

Those exOfficio pants would do the job, but they're just as much as the cabelas fleece lined pants.

Maybe there's another pair of fleece lined pants that dont look so much like underwear that I haven't found yet?

Thanks for the help guys!

Blog Entries

I have a pair of Redington fleece under-wader pants and they do have a zippered fly. I usually wear a pair of nylon pants over them.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Dear Fly Fish Texas,

I got a flyer from Bass Pro Shop in the mail. They have the supplex pants with the zip off legs on sale for about $ 20.00 depending on your size. They look like a pair of Cargo pants and they have pockets for your wallet, keys, etc.

I've worn my Cabela's version of the pants with lightweight Thermax long johns and they keep me plenty warm under waders here in PA even in the winter. The Thermax long johns don't absorb moisture and neither do the pants.

You could always be like me. Once I put my waders on for the day I leave them on, even while driving.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

9. Default

I got two pair of these polartec pants for less than 20 bucks each...
    [url=http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=21610112&memberId=1250022 6:85ae8]http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=21610112&memberId=1250022 6[/url:85ae8]

has pockets on each side but no zipper in front, tho it isn't hard to install a nylon zipper.

marc

I second the ex-officio pants choice. Those folks really make quality stuff, and the pants material is ver light and dries quickly. When its colder use the patagonia base layer stuff. They make three or four different thicknesses based on how cold it is.
    The most important thing is this: NEVER WEAR COTTON.
    Cotton keeps moisture so you will always be wet.

Migs

+ Reply to Thread