+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in a float tube in a lightning storm

Default Stuck in a float tube in a lightning storm

I got stuck under a boat canopie in my float tube for 30 minutes when a storm blew in and I was a 1/2 mile from the put in.I was working the West end of a local lake and having too much fun ( 45 minutes 9 LMB,2BG,1RB). Storm blew in from the West and I didn't see it until it was on top of me. I didn't want to risk open water this was one of those storms where the air tasted metallic. You can't walk out of this lake as the people with the big houses aren't to happy that the DNR snuck a public access point past them. What would you do?

------------------
    "Illegitimus nil Carborundum"

Walk out of the lake! Any home owner that wants you to risk your life so he will not have your foot prints on his/her lawn is a fool.

RoyC

Blog Entries

Anyone who got their tail up over their back over someone landing toavoid death by lightning deserves a dose of voltage themselves!

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:29062]Sweetness On The Water[/url:29062]
    [url=http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/bgl/:29062]Good Ol? Lepomis Macrochirus[/url:29062]

Definitely jump out at the closest spot, regardless of who owns the property.

I live on a privite lake that has a "public" access point for neighborhood members who do not live on the lake. By all means, walk out of the lake. I am certain that the home owners would want you to be safe and many would probably offer you shelter from the storm if there is any lightning.

p.s. I've had some great fishing success right before a storm blows in, but you have to remain aware of the weather. My rule of thumb is simple. If I can hear thunder, I get off the water; period!

Jim Smith

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana">quote:</font><HR>and Florida gets the largest
    portion among the top ten lightning strike
    states.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No joke. Lightning capitol of the world. We don't have an NHL team with that name for nothing. I remember quite a while ago a Polish fellow that was visiting Tampa got struck and killed on Bayshore Blvd. in Tampa. If I even think I hear thunder, I get off the water. Dark clouds are enough to send me packing without the lightning.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana">quote:</font><HR>I've been sailing on Barnegat Bay for 20 yrs,
    and despite all the talk of lightning
    strikes on sailboats, I have yet to see a
    single incident.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't tempt providence if I were you.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 20 July 2006).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Lightning can travel from 10 miles and strike you. Never take it for granted.

By the way, one of my favorite movies shows what can happen. "Gone Fishing", with Danny Glover and Joe Peschi. Absolutely hilarious, but it could happen.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

I have no knowledge of water laws, but isn't there a general highwater mark rule that applies to all bodies of water?

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

I was caught 1/2 mile off the beach with my scuba diving buddy in a lightning storm in FL- night dive too. Very exciting experience underwater, but we were very nervous. We kicked out to the spot and just couldn't get back in by the time the flashes started.
    Haven't spilled a drink since the twitching stopped- just kidding here.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

I have no knowledge of water laws, but isn't there a general highwater mark rule that applies to all bodies of water?
    Florida has the highwater mark rule as water is publicly owned (for navigable waters). This rule does not apply to private property shoreline on a lake even though the lake is public but emergencies do happen so I'm sure there are exceptions. Georgia doesn't have that rule as water is privately owned in Georgia (some lakes may be public as well as some public sections of streams/creeks and rivers like State or Federal parks). I don't know about other states but I would guess they are similar to Georgia.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 21 July 2006).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

+ Reply to Thread