+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer in February?

It can be tied in any color combination, of course, but chartreuse has been my most consistent producer in most of the waters I fish.
    Its a simple jig. I just call it a "microjig". But there is a "microjig" on Ward Bean's "Warmwater Fly Tyer" website...it has rubber legs, which I omit. It has also been called a Springbrook Wunder, or at least this is certainly the same style as that. I think that pattern can be found somewhere on FAOL.

The recipe is this:
    -I prefer a 1/80th oz microjighead with a #8 hook. Store-bought ones aren't the best. The best ones I've found, I buy on eBay.
    -I use bright red/orange thread...6/0 Uni
    -marabou or grizzly marabou tail
    -body of yarn, chenille, or estaz

That's it. Fast, simple, and catches a LOT of fish when used under an indicator in still water. I've caught bluegills, hybrid sunfish, redear sunfish, pumpkinseed sunfish, green sunfish, black crappie & white crappie, largemouth bass over 20", channel catfish, carp, and trout on these.

Gold is also a good color, especially for trout:

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

It might be summer in February (now March) but the winds were sustained 30-40 mph over the weekend, with gusts up to 55 here (70 in some places). Some folks might be able to fish in that, but not me !
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Today the winds are 35 mph.
    I am a lousy caster and worse in these wind speeds.

Rick

Just shake out some line lift the rod and the wind will take your line out. No need to cast.

"......line out" or IN or ?????? :>)

Mark

Shake ,feed, pull, false cast, whatever get sufficient line out and with your back to the wind you can get the wind to get the line out if it is sufficiently strong so a back cast wontt work.

We have had 20-30 mph wind here all week, and the lakes are so low from the lack of rain, it's getting tough to navigate. Today was the first day without the wind and I took the boat out to the lake and got grounded in the muck . And only caught 3 small bass. Beats working though....

Quote Originally Posted by Linecaster View Post
    Shake ,feed, pull, false cast, whatever get sufficient line out and with your back to the wind you can get the wind to get the line out if it is sufficiently strong so a back cast wontt work.
    Yeah, but can't keep my hat on, can't keep my pipe lit, hate getting hit by flying debris, etc. etc. etc...
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread