+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weight of Glues?

Default Weight of Glues?

Does anybody know the differences in the weight of various glues - thick UV, thin UV, super glue, SHHAN, etc. - if you put the exact same amount on a fly? I realize it has to be so little a difference considering the amount you would put on a fly it wouldn't make any difference at all, but I was just wondering.

Joe

Interesting question, but probably not easy to answer. Some of these glues penetrate more which seems like it would tend to reduce apparent volume. Others build up which tend ot increase the apparent volume. I believe others, eg, SHHAN, evaporate and shrink to a degree as they cure.

I think weight of adhesives can be significant, especially for small dry flies. I know that some of the euro nymphing folks are very precise about nymph weighting and actually weigh their nymphs with a reloading scale and organize their nymph boxes by fly weight.

Guess I'm wondering what aspect of things you're thinking about. FWIW, I avoid glues on most dry flies. I use SHHAN extensively for nymphs and streamers. I use UV when I want to build up volume, eg, wing case. I don't like Superglue much for flies, but I do use it on occassion when strength is needed, eg, securing barbell eyes.

Blog Entries

I almost never use head cement or any "glue". In 40 years of fly tying:fishing, I may have had one fly unravel. Some of my favorite tiers use head cement several times during the tying of a single fly, but I don't like it myself.
    Since I enjoy tying and tie so many flies, if one gets chewed up to the point I have to replace it, that's fine with me.
    Just seems like flies (most flies) should be whispy .......the insect we are imitating is whispy......they don't have hardened parts (duns)......nymphs are sometimes a different story to a certain extent.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 02-19-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I saw a thread on another forum about the weight of flies, and the question of how much flies weigh was never actually answered. From a practical standpoint, I imagine it doesn't matter so much with dries, as the weight is only one factor in keeping them afloat. As for nymphs and wets, rate of sink and the position in the water column you wish them to hold would be affected. .....A factor of significant importance to euro nymphers and centerpin drifters. To the average flyfisher/flycaster I'm not sure if the very small difference glues and cements make would be of much concern. Larger, heavier, flies, such as big stonefly nymphs, clousers, and certain beadhead and dumbell jobs do affect 'feel' and loading when flycasting. Just my thoughts on the matter..
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

Quote Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
    I think weight of adhesives can be significant, especially for small dry flies.
    I use a double half-hitch and (thinned) Sally Hansen on almost all my dry flies, including #22 midges and they float just fine.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Had a hook swap one time. Weighed the hooks on a chemical balance.
    Was curious so weighed several of the different hooks one at a time.
    There is a slight weight difference, 2 or 3 decimal places in grams, between the hooks.
    Not sure that a little glue would make that much difference and would have to be used on the same hook.

Rick

I am not a chemical engineer. I'm sure that Silver creek will be along with an answer. But here are my thoughts.

For solvent based cements, the more solvent (thinner) the more mass it will lose as the solvent evaporates. I would guess that epoxies and UV cured cements don't lose much mass during the curing process.

So I don't use thick glues or epoxies on dry flies. A tiny drop of thinned cement doesn't seem to hurt.

I like to tie a lot of dries and I much prefer the look of a stripped quill or biot body over a dubbed one for mayflies and midges. For some really small ones I use a thread body. They need to be coated with something to increase their durability. All the "glues" do a good job of bringing out the color and protecting the body. I just wondered which type might be slightly lighter and not cause the fly to sink quite as soon.

Joe

This might be the way to find the answer. Weigh 10 bare hooks then put a "normal" load of head cement/glue/resin on each hook an weigh again when dry. You would need scales suitable for objects of a very light weight.

Regards,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread