+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fast or Slow?

Default Fast or Slow?

While at an Orvi$ store yesterday, it occurred to me that they have it "nailed". Their rod flex ratings, full, mid and tip and the distance from the reel seat from which that flex is measured is the clearest (to me) indication of how one should expect the rod to perform. Since I'm not that much into equipment (I can only tell you the color of my rods- maybe?)) I was wondering if other manufacturers use this type of flex/action rating. Seems to me that "fast,slow "etc. is a bit vague and subject to a lot of personal interpretation.

Mark

------------------
    I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.

As I have admitted before on FAOL, I was (mostly) absent from the sport for about 12 years until this year...well I made a trip to our local (Orvis) fly shop this past winter and the owner started talking to me about rods and was using terms like "tip flex" and "mid flex" and Etc. and I had no Idea what he was talking about until later when I had a chance to think about it, but then too, when I first got into fly fishing I hadn't heard of rods being "fast", "slow" and "medium".....you just simply took it outside and cast it, you either liked it or not.

By the way, I own a light tan, a dark tan and a black rod...I like the light tan one best.

"Beer, much more than just a breakfast drink"

[This message has been edited by tea stick (edited 15 July 2006).]

Mark,

That's a little prehistoric...

Maybe next time you'll do a little research...

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

"I was wondering if other manufacturers use this type of flex/action rating. Seems to me that "fast,slow "etc. is a bit vague and subject to a lot of personal interpretation."

Vague?? it's simple!!
    Fast=tip flex
    med=mid flex
    slow=full flex

been that way for decades
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Marco;
    Tea stick is a term for bamboo and it also equals Slow!! I'm thinking of changing my name to Tea Stick II cause now I have 3!!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

Ducksterman et al,
    The reason I don't do the research is that I don't care. I'm NOT into equipment but have been fly fishing for 35+ years. When I see a rod, I wiggle it and if it feels good I BUY. Usually for a pittance. My concentration is where I fish and what I catch and NOT what I fish with. Till this day, I couldn't tell the difference between a mid or tip flex fast or medium rod unless it had a label saying so. But even then I wouldn't care. What matters is how it feels to me when I "wiggle" it. I have never lost sleep over the action of my rod or the name brand label on it. I have often said that when I hear that trout prefer $$$ equipment, mine will cost $10,000. Until that time, I'll just continue fishing the USA with my( wait, let me check the labels-never mind) nameless whatever flex rods. But thanks for the enlightenment and that's why I posed the question here among those who would know the answers.

Mark

------------------
    I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.

Hey, Mark....

I can't believe you didn't pickup[G]...

"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Actually, I'm not very hungry.

The Dunce that I am. You can believe it.I did actually slip way over my head. Sorry for the "steam" in the post.

Mark

------------------
    Thank You, but I don't have much of an appetite.

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 15 July 2006).]

Hey marco,

If other's would do THEIR homework then maybe THEY would be aware that Orvi$ also uses a numeric system with their termonology ie. a scale of 2.5-12.5 with full flex being represented by 2.5-5.5 and mid flex 6.0-9.0 and etc. so in that respect it is more precise. I once posted a question here as to what people enjoyed fishing with slow, med. or fast rods just because I was curious, but in the end you just have to have it in hand and as you said wiggle it or even better yet try casting it. I went for years without ever thinking about whether my rod was fast or slow and it didn't detract a bit from my enjoyment of a particular rod. All this talk about a rods action being slow or what have you just allows us to help decsribe a rod and how you might expect it to feel when in hand.

[This message has been edited by tea stick (edited 15 July 2006).]

Mark,

If I had said what you thought I would have expected you to burn me a heck of a lot hotter than you did...[G].

I still remember LF's pie and chips thing and chuckle.

+ Reply to Thread