+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hemostat vise for small flies

Default Hemostat vise for small flies

While watching a video of Rim Chung tying flies, I noticed that he was using a hemostat to hold the hook. I ran the video, pausing it back and forth trying to see how it was fastened to the table. No Luck. I decided to try my own Jury Rig. I used a block of walnut with one side cut at an angle to fasten the hemostat to. I drilled a 3/8 hole in the wood block, cut the head off a 3/8 bolt for a shaft and attached the hemostat to the wood block with two screws and washers. The shaft will fit a pedestal or in my set up, a 3/8 hole. I first tried a hemostat with serrated jaws. It worked somewhat but the hook would turn at a slight angle because of the serrations and the # 20 hook I was using. I tried a flat jawed Hemostat (Dr Slick curved tip) and it worked like a champ. I had used my Peak vise to tie the small stuff and found it much easier to tie with the Hemo vise. Thanks Rim! Please excuse my poor picture of vise with #20 hook
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oldster; 01-12-2017 at 03:40 AM.

Default more pix of hemostat vise

A few more pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting idea and I like how creative you were in finding a solution. Nice job!

Jim Smith

Thanks Jim,If you look real close to the last picture you can see the corner of a sheet rock mud tray that was inspired by your waste collector idea.

Now that you mention it, a short sheet rock mud tray would really simplify the construction of the Trash Trough. If you were from a bit farther North, I would say that you have an excellent command of Yankee Ingenuity (intended as a compliment).

Jim

Clever. What size is that hook? I've yet to tie anything smaller than my existing vise can handle, but I like the idea.

The hook is a size 20. I was gonna use a 22 but it would be hard to see in the picture. I have used a 18 and I think a 16 would also work but haven't tried it yet.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

That's a workable solution, oldster. I can clamp size 22s in my vise, but the jaws ar e big enough to get in the way on those teeny little guys. The hemos solve that problem well. So, I'll be stealin' your idea !
    No plans as yet for any 22s, but, even 18s will work better in the hemovise...

That's a neat idea. I had often thought of using hemostats for small hooks but never got beyond just thinking about it. I now have an HMH Spartan with midge jaws which works fine for me. However, I got to thinking again on how you attached the hemostat to the walnut block. If one had access to a machine shop you could probably weld one handle to a 3/8 inch metal rod.

Dave, I think you're right and I considered having someone braze it. I searched the internet for hemostat fly vise and got one hit only. someone had made one and used epoxy to attach it to a stand. I wanted a quick try before I ruined my Hemostat so I used the block of hard wood and screws. It's rock solid even if it ain't pretty.

+ Reply to Thread