+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On bags, slings, vests, et al...

Default On bags, slings, vests, et al...

I know I carry too much stuff. I used to wear a vest (too hot in summer); now I use a streamside bag, and around here I'm pretty much bank fishing so it's not really a big deal, but I thought it would be nice to have all my gear with me and not have to lug the bag along whenever I move, or to see it setting back where I used to be when I want something. I was ordering some stuff from Loon Outdoors and they had their bag on clearance for $30 so I picked one up...

Saturday I got ready to make the transition. Laid out all the stuff and after about 5 seconds realized it wasn't all going to go into the Loon bag, so I started thinking about what I could do without...I ended up combining some flies and getting rid of one box. Then I put it all back in the big bag and gave up. Maybe some day ...

PS: does anyone know what those perforated leather thingies on the sides of the Loon bag are for?
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

The perforations would be for attaching zingers. You could also clamp your hemostats

Blog Entries

The problem with 'Downsizing', is we just can't seem to let anything go. I carry a large gear bag when I go out with a guide, they are always surprised at the weight. But for solo fishing I purchased a Cabala's net type fly fishing vest (took care of the over heating problem). Naturally, not everything in my gear bag fits into the vest, wouldn't be able to wear it, but it is surprising how much 'stuff' you can get in a vest. As for using your new Loon pack, just really look at the 'stuff' in your big bag. When was the last time you really needed each item you have in it. Pull out only what you really have used, toss back in the items you have not used, (even though you think that some day I may need it, just toss it back in the big bag). Now that you have really downsized, will it fit in the Loon?

Good luck.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Larry, you're right of course. And probably 95% of the stuff qualifies as "have never used, but might need it someday." Trouble is, I keep falling back on my experience with all the other junk I have accumulated over the years: Every time I get rid of something it turns out to be the one thing I need at some point ! Part of my frustration is that I need to reorganize my fly boxes and that was just too overwhelming at the time. I'll get around to it, then take your advice. Then I'll keep the gear bag in the truck and if I REALLY need something I can always go and get it.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Howdy prairieschooner... I was a vest man for years, happy and proud of all my 'stuff', I wore out a few, and then bought a mesh job from Cabelas with more pockets than I'd have thought possible. Wow! Finally room for it all.... Then I learned that I would never remember what was where, and it started being too heavy. It was a big change, but i went with a Wright & McGill chest pack. I've customized it extensively, and converted it to a shoulder bag. It is still pretty small in size, but highly modified. Took me 3 or more years to get it right, and really be happy. I only carry two fly boxes at a time, and choose their contents carefully, adding, subtracting, and replacing flies after each fisin' trip.
    My bag always carries : a SHARP folding knife, line clipper on a zinger, fishin' pliers, my license in a see-through vinyl pin-on thing. A short length of paracord, three furled leaders, 2 or 3 sizes tippet on spools, a small vial of tiny shot & tungsten putty, a tin of Mucilage, a small bottle of fly floatant, a loud whistle, a few band-aids, a large bandanna, and two fly boxes. On a large diaper pin hangs a few snap swivels, in the large zippered pocket on the back, I carry a .357 snub when I'm in bear country, mostly in the spring, but only then, as it adds too much weight, and I've only really felt the need for it like twice in many, many years.
    Downsizing was tough, but I got it now. And I have a rather large and fully stuffed gear bag in the truck, should I need something else.

........by the way, this evening I'm breaking out tools and materials to start work on a few new modifications to my W & M shoulder pack... Had me some good ideas in a couple daydreamin' sessions lately
    Last edited by modocdan; 01-11-2017 at 01:57 AM.

I wore a vest for years....it was part of me. But about 10 years ago I began trying packs. After going back and forth for the first 5 years or so, I've settled into a couple that fit. The Fishpond Waterdance Pack that I wear on my hip. It works for all things trout. Just enough room and comfortable.

TBOTB - Edited (1).jpg

And the Orvis fanny that I use for warmwater since it has one main compartment which works better for large bug boxes.

Bass Rig.jpg

Both are very comfortable and fit their uses.

Like others I was a vest guy but a few years ago I hung the vest up and went to a lanyard. I carry the necessary dodads and two shirt pocket fly boxes. When I would hike into water I carried the lanyard and a small backpack, Camelback. Last year I hung up the backpack and went to a Fishpond sling pack, I like it very well.

I hang on to my vest, because I can hang my net on it. But I have unloaded it mercilessly, and use a lanyard too, to access the things that will hang on it. Finally have it light enough that I can walk without getting exhausted.

I grew up wading rivers, spinfishing. Like my Dad, I carried my gear in a shoulder bag. Fishing on foot, either wading or from shore, I've always preferred being mobile. Never cared for tackle boxes and having to pick them up and move them as I fished my way along.

When I began predominantly flyfishing, I tried a vest...really didn't care for it at all.
    Hip/fanny packs worked pretty well..found some that carried enough gear, could be moved around the waist from front to back when it need to be out of the way. These were my choice for years. It was nice to carry these items on the waist instead of on the shoulders. One issue I had was they seemed to often loosen up on their own while fishing, and often sag, and even occasionally falling to the ground! I didn't like having to keeping fidgeting with them to get them to stay in place and tight enough. And when wading streams, I would occasionally need to remove and carry the fanny pack in my hand when crossing areas of deeper water.

So, I eventually tried some other options. I tried chest packs, but didn't like that it made it difficult to see where I was putting my feet.

I finally tried sling packs. I've tried a couple, found an Orvis one several years ago that was on clearance for around $30. It had tons of room and was pretty comfortable to carry and access. I liked that I could traverse deeper water without worrying about it getting wet, compared with the fanny/hip packs. In the large compartment, I can carry two very large fly boxes AND two bottles of water, with room left over. In the smaller compartment, I can carry my tippet spools, indicators, tape measure, extra pliers, scissors, digital scale, thermometer, cell phone, cigars, snacks, etc. I keep my forceps in a purpose built location on the strap.
    So...I'm a big fan of the sling packs now, as long as they are large enough to hold what I want. I'm glad I was able to try these without spending big $$...because they can certainly get expensive. But if you find one you like, it should last you for many seasons.

Everybody has their own preferences and visions of the "perfect" pack/vest that suit the kinds of fishing they do. Keep trying different types until you find the one that suits you.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I have moved from vest to waist pack to simms sling pack and i am happy with the arrangement. i use the sling primarily for trout fishing or where i will be wading. if i am warmwater fishing from the bank i still use the waist pack. if i am in my kayak i put a fly box behind my seat hemostat nippers and tippet in or on my shirt pocket and i am good to go

+ Reply to Thread