+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a little help icw Norvise mountiing spacing....

Default Need a little help icw Norvise mountiing spacing....

I do not have a mounting board for my Norvise. One of the videos said the maximum retreival of the automatic bobbin is 14". So in making my own board....I would like to know the distance between the two verticals to set up the Norvise. From the vise post, to the Bobbin support post, is what distance between the holes on the board.....center line to centerline?

Thanks for any help.

Pulled this off their FAQ page

Question: How do I determine the correct dimensions for mounting my Norvise?

There is (or was) a drawing with your vise showing a recommended distance of 14" to 18" for the mounting holes about 1" in from the front edge of your board or table. Some commercial fly tyers will have several mounting holes for optimal spacing depending on what they will be tying at the time. I like mine 16" apart.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

I purchased the pre-drilled mounting board from Norvise and the holes are slightly less than 14" apart.

Joe

Scott and Joe,
    Thank you for the information.
    Jim

@Whitewolf, a few years back, I saw Norm @ the Denver Fly fishing show. He said if you have a counter top manufacturer nearby, you can ask for or buy the cutout scraps, when they cut out the sink portion. One of my guys at work is a house flipper on the side. He gave me 2 pieces of scrap wood. One was 12"x18", the other piece was smaller, maybe 11"x14". The other thing Norm suggested was to place those rubber circular stick-on pads, but only use 3 placing like a triangle, instead of 4, one at each corner. i used his suggestion using only 3, and haven't run into a problem. I tried the smaller board, but switched back to the bigger board, because with the smaller board, I felt cramped. The other problem I ran into was the board would slide, when cranking down with a bobbin. Your other option is to buy a cutting board at your nearest home goods store like bed bath & beyond, etc. Hopefully the pic comes out below. Hope this helps you out.

@Whitewolf, correction on what I said: I went back to the 12"x18" board, because of the weight. Less chance of the board moving on you

Neat looking board rwar. Thank you for the info. I had a cheap wooden tv tray with fold up legs for stacking. That was busted up. I decided to use the top for my board. I already had the vise mounted on one of those Oasis fly tying things. But the dubbing brush accessory would not work that way. So I cut up that tv tray table top and fitted it into my Oasis tying station. I read that the spacing on the Norvise board is just under 14"s. The jaws extend out 4",s from the vise mounting post. So it must be approx 9 inches from the jaws to the bobbin support post. Mine came out to be 12 inches from the jaws to the bobbin support post. I haven't tied on the Norvise yet....so it is all new to me. I will see how the 12" distance works out. I may end up having to change it. My tv tray thing isn't the best.....but it will work. It took some doing to get it level as it is warped a bit. I may try to find a sink cut out. Thank you for the pic and information.

jim

Would someone please tell me how to buy a spool of .006 Soft Brass wire please? A Norm video says for dubbing brushes he prefers it. I just came from Sportsmans' Warehouse. They only had Ultra Wire in xsm, sm, and medium in "copper". And no diameters on label. I searched on internet and did not find anything...that said..... .006 Soft Brass wire.....

I am sure many other wires will work. I just would like to get it close to right what may work for me.....

I believe Ultra Wire in size Small is just about .006, but I also believe, as you said, it's made of copper, not brass.

Joe

34 gauge brass wire, .0063 diameter; this should be what you're looking for

https://www.amazon.com/Artistic-34-G.../dp/B004CYFFIC

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

+ Reply to Thread