+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying the Pete Hidy (and others') old dubbing card method

Default Loop Material

Nice, Byron. Can you use any thread as a dubbing loop?
    Is that a dubbing block kit? If so, where did you purchase it?

Blog Entries

Last,
    I am told that you must use silk tying thread which holds the wax. I got a bunch from Stockard's and it works well.
    I got my tying block through a suggestion on this site......from Dette's via internet. There are a couple sources for the blocks that I have seen. I think if you just do a search for "dubbing loop wood blocks"....or something similar.
    Hope that helps!!

http://www.williamsfavorite.com/stor..._Products.html

sort of a sacrilege,but I used the method to tie a bi-color X-Caddis..............

Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-28-2016 at 07:38 PM.

So I have to ask...
    What is the fascination with these Hidy dubbing loop blocks over other more recent dubbing blocks...historical?

Blog Entries

Ducksterman,

As I said in the original post......."Just couldn't resist trying their old techniques..."

So, that's about as simple an explanation as I can provide. I have read for many years about how they created all their cards for later use in dressing their flymphs. I just decided that I would see if I could replicate the method myself.

I happen to be a big fan of the history of fly tying and trying their methods makes it more interesting to me.

Years ago, I tied on eyeless hooks and learned the snell knot for attaching to tippet......just to see.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-30-2016 at 01:28 AM.

Byron,

I kindof thought that ...but as I said I had to ask being heavy into current dubbing brush platforms.

Blog Entries

I understand Duck. However, I personally prefer thread/silk dubbing loops. More delicate.

In addition, there are certain nuances in the Leiserling/Hidy/others' method. They wanted just a hint of the silk thread to show through. In addition, they desired large heads formed from the tying thread on their flies.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-30-2016 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    This is step 1 (for a rookie) at tying a PMD flymph

S
    tep 2: Putting the dubbing loop on a card

S
    tep 3: Removing the loop from the card and tying it on the rear of the hook
    This sure looks great, Byron. Those colors will kill during the sulfur hatch here in PA.

Was thinking the same thing last chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post

sort of a sacrilege,but I used the method to tie a bi-color X-Caddis..............
    In a way, that just brings things full circle. Leisenring and Hidy fished the Broadhead Creek in PA, near Henryville -- home of the Henryville Special, and one of the most caddis-infested rivers I've ever fished.
    Bob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    In a way, that just brings things full circle. Leisenring and Hidy fished the Broadhead Creek in PA, near Henryville -- home of the Henryville Special, and one of the most caddis-infested rivers I've ever fished.

Bob,
    I know this will probably bring a chorus of disagreement (it has in the past), but here goes anyway. The early fly fishers (talking very early) did not recognize the importance of the caddis to the trout and the fly fisherman. Some of the early authors discuss the caddis fly and then state that it is not an important food item to imitate because "they are on the water late in the evening". That is NOT to say that nobody knew of them and their behavior. They are mentioned in old books and their entomological classifications to be sure, but their importance to the fly fisherman was not widely accepted.

Since the late 50's (with Al Troth's EHC), perhaps, the caddis fly has been more generally recognized as a very important food item for trout and for the fly fisherman to imitate. Of course the work done by Gary LaFontaine (in the late 60's-early 70's), and others as well, did much to popularize patterns and the science of their life cycle and behavior brought the caddis into the mainstream of fly fishing....in my opinion.

Anyway, it is interesting that you point out the ubiquitous nature of the Caddis on the Broadhead where Lessening and Hidy Tied and fished their Flymphs........
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 12-01-2016 at 03:41 AM.

+ Reply to Thread