+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XS wire

Default XS wire

Okay, after a very frustrating session working with XS Ultra wire, I need help! I'm trying to do some Sawyers Killer bugs. Went out and dutifully bought some XS Ultra wire. The stuff breaks and breaks and breaks. I switched bobbins, tried to use less pressure, tried to be careful with winding. Break, break, break. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Mike,

Did you try not using a bobbin? With a bobbin, every wrap will twist the wire, eventually breaking it. If you unwind the twist then you are just twisting and untwisting the wire which will also break it eventually.

Regards,

Alberto

The bobbin should work fine if you use a rotary vise and just direct the wire onto the rotating hook. I agree with Alberto, that if you wind the wire around the hook with the bobbin, you are much more likely to break it using a bobbin.

Make sure that the wire has no kinks in it for the section you will be winding on the hook. I have found that any small kink will break easily. I try to always smooth the wire between my fingers to make sure there are no kinks just before I wind it on a hook.

Ted

Mike,

Never had that problem, but then I never put wire in a bobbin; I'll just break off a length, tie it in and work with it that way.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Hi Mike,

Frank didn't use extra small diameter wire for his Killer bugs. You can probably use the Brassie size if you have it in red or copper brown.

Regards,
    Mark

AHA! The words of wisdom from those more learned than me! I will try those tips. Also the Brassie wire should work better. I need to put a "Use the Rotary Luke" over my vice. I forget some times!
    Thanks all!
    Mike

Yes, what the other guys said. You can use a bobbin but only in combination with the rotary feature. Works like a charm that way. This is a #16 hook and fine diameter wire

brahmaFMJyellowsm.jpg

Martin, beautiful fly.

Quote Originally Posted by melk View Post
    Okay, after a very frustrating session working with XS Ultra wire, I need help! I'm trying to do some Sawyers Killer bugs. Went out and dutifully bought some XS Ultra wire. The stuff breaks and breaks and breaks. I switched bobbins, tried to use less pressure, tried to be careful with winding. Break, break, break. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Like it's been said, either use a rotary vise or a strand of x-sm Ultra Wire...this is a variant of a Sawyer's PT on a #18 TMC 100SPBL Hook:

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Martin,

I like the technique you used on that soft hackle. I do the same, gets rid of the wire "bump" on a fly.

Alberto

+ Reply to Thread