+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And you don't own a 2 weight WHY?

I've caught a few carp with a 6 foot , 2wt fiberglass fly rod. as long as you do not over react to the carp's first run; it is a blast . bring a net too!

i have access to a lake where a two weight would be fun for bluegills etc. however i am back to using a 6wt and 12 lb tippet in another lake with descent numbers of channel cats if you do not put the wood to them they bury themselves in the weeds or get around a snag in about 2 heartbeats

Bluegill and small largemouth are great on a 2wt with surface flies.

I like a small Muddler with floatant on the surface.

Regards,
    FK

After reading this thread I dug out the H&H kit my brother bought to build for me and found a rod maker close by to build it for me. It is a 6'6" Xi series and it came out very nice. He used a deep maroon thread for the wrappings and it came out very understated. I have a Cortland Embassy 40 reel for it that balances very well. I will be in search of a fly line hopefully in time to play with the Put-and-take trout in the state stocked stream not too far away (about an hour's drive) when they do the November stocking.

My favorite rod has been a Loop blank 3wt my brother built me some years ago. I have used it on the Casey Creek (the stocked stream) before, but being a 9' rod extra care must be taken to not become a defoliant.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Bought a 2 weight 10 years ago it is my go to rod and have caught 3lb plus bass and just love the rod for blue gills..

Default Looking for a Sevier Blank

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnarocks View Post
    I built a 2 WT 6'6"from a Sevier tiger eye blank. It was a Christmas gift for my fishing buddy Mike. I liked it so much I built myself a 2 WT 7' from a blank I bought on ebay. They are a blast to chase eastern CA stockers in small creeks.
    I wish I could get another Sevier blank. I love the 3wt. I bought from them. If you know where to get more let me know.

How large of a fly, like a bass popper, do you suppose would be the realistic upper limit to a 2wt rod?
    Having landed a 35.5 lb fish on a 5wt, I have no doubt a 2wt could land most bass around here. A lighter rod REALLY protects the tippet better. Its the casting I wonder about. I moved from a 5wt to a 6wt with an Airflo 40+ WFF line to cast the blockhead poppers better. These are not aerodynamic flies, and the 6wt helped the casting immensely. I do break off more bass, however, because of the stiffer rod...even though I'm usually using 11 lb tippet, and most of the bass are probably less than 5 lbs.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread