+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need winter trout fishing adivce

Default I need winter trout fishing adivce

Starting in November the Missouri Department of Conservation will be stocking trout in a small local lake for the first time. I've never fished for trout before. What type of patterns would be good for the trout over the winter months. Also, once the season opens next spring should I be looking for different patterns or will the ones I've used over the winter still be effective.

I can tie some basic flies. So, if any suggested patterns are not too difficult I may also try tying a few.

Also, if you have any general advice about winter stocked trout fishing I would greatly appreciate it. I have only fished in warm weather months for blue gill and bass.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Blog Entries

tjulian,

My favorite way to fish for trout in lakes when there is no hatch to speak of, is to very slowly 'troll' with a Woolly Bugger (black or green or brown, have all three and figure out what they want). I usually like to use an intermediate line, cast it out as far as I can, then trip out even more so almost all of the line is out. Then very slowly I row around the lake, to locate where the fish are holding. Vary the speed, stop a lot to let the fly sink a bit and pretty soon you will find out what they want and where they are. Have your rod secured as they can hit really hard.

Good luck.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I agree with Sagefisher but would include white Woolly Buggers as well. Black Chicago Leeches are also good. You might put a red bead behind the black bead.

http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/fly...hicago_fly.htm

Nymphs are another option.

Regards,
    Ed

Definitely white woolly bugger fished slowly in winter and early spring. Black is never a bad idea.

Steve
    it's all good drifts

Marabou size 10 124/oz jig fished under an indicator or stripped

Personally I would use thread midges and San Juan worms under an indicator. Stockers are rarely picky so the San Juan worms can be most any color (red and pink work best for me) and the midges should be black and red. Never hurts to have a few with a bit of flash if the water is off color, and if the flies are not weighted, you will need a small split shot as well.. Same technique works for warm water species as well.

In cooler (colder?) water months, for stream/river fishing, I like the bead-head Hares Ear.

+ Reply to Thread