+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem with Net

Default Problem with Net

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/85992...ductId=1435208

I Have the L.L. Bean Rapid River Vest Pack, see link above. Anyone have any ideas how I could get the higher up on the back and closer to my ears, let's say. I have a hard time reaching the next to release it and reattach it. I deas will be apprecciated.

Get a magnetic net release like this one from LL Bean:
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/87675...ductId=1466826

Attach the release to the other end of the net from the handle. Then, when the net is attached on your back, the handle will hang down. When you want to use the net, you just reach behind your back and grab the handle. Pull and release the magnet. This is how I have carried my net for several years.

Ted

Blog Entries

Ted is right and the added feature is the net won't get hung up on twigs/brush/etc near as much.

I use one that isn't magnetic. Each piece has a leather piece that attaches to both the net and the back of the fly vest with a plastic type material on each end that clips together. East to pull apart and put back together but not so easy as to loose the net. Cabela's sold it many years ago, but I see that, like so many other companies, they have gone to the magnetic ones. If the magnet is really strong, like a rare earth magnet then they hold really well.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Last edited by sagefisher; 09-15-2016 at 12:20 AM.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Hi Ted, I have a magnetic release, but it hangs too low in the back for me to reach it over my shoulder. Maybe I should hook it to one of my shoulder straps? The clip gets too low in the back when I have the pack loaded, and drops down toward the middle of my shoulder blades.
    Last edited by lastchance; 09-15-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Just shorten up the attachment on the magnet. Mine is attached to the plastic 'ring' on my vest by a caribiner (Spelling???) The magnetic net holder is one of if not the best gadget I ever purchased.

I think I see your problem, the ring you attach your net to is not up by your neck, but down by your shoulder blades. Maybe you could have a leather shop sew you in a ring up by your neck?

My magnet is strong enough that it attaches the net if I get it within an inch or so. I do have to keep the magnet clean, though. Often, after netting a fish, there is a lot of magnetic sand that gets stuck to the magnet on the net. I have to clean this off before it will stick well.

Ted

My setup is similar to that of Silver Creek except the tither is attached to the D-ring on the part of the magnet attached to the vest. The tither is maybe a 1/8" to 1/4" dia bungie type cord. It's design to prevent snags while hiking through brush. When I need to deploy I just reach behind my back and there it is. I find it easier to reattach by reaching back over my shoulder and drop the handle once I hear the reaffirming "click".
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread