+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tenkara Fishing, really?

Quote Originally Posted by 1hook View Post
    cm Stewart, is it just the benefit of the longer rod? I wonder why they don't make regular fly rods long too, it seems like most don't go beyond 9ft

What do you do with your line when hiking in back country mountain streams?
    Collapse the rod and wind the line around a spool that slips over the rod. It's actually much easier to carry a tenkara rod along mountain streams and in thick brush then it is to is a rod with a reel and guides. Another advantage.

I will add that 10 foot (non-tenkara) rods are fairly common, and 11 footers are available. They're popular with Euro-nymphers, and I like them for upstream wet fly fishing. I seldom fish tenkara, but I can see the advantages for some streams.
    Bob

"What most people who have not tried tenkara do not grasp is that the long rod and light line allow you to keep your line off the water's surface, so you get much less drag and you never "line" a fish. You really will catch more fish. For smaller streams, where you don't cast to your backing, and where fish don't run to your backing, not only do you not need backing, you don't need the reel to hold the backing you aren't going to use."

Can you please explain how you keep a 20 foot line and 6-7 feet if tippet of the water with a 12 foot rod? I know you guys use long line bcause I have made a ton of them for the Tenkara guys. I am not bad mouthing the style. I have a Tenkara rod and have tried it several times. Just not my cup of tea.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

My interest is peaked, I kind of like the idea of a telescoping rod for packing in my back pack for hiking. Not sure I would use it a ton but like the idea of being able to easily take a fly rod anywhere with me.. kaboom what outfit did you get? Let me now if your interested in maybe getting rid of it for a few bucks

Kaboom.   Length of line is about the same as rod. Most of the leader is underwater, so very easy to keep line off water. My experience is very good for hooking fish, but tougher than western in fighting and landing larger fish and in fast water. Easy to pack. All in all an enjoyable way to fish. Oh yeah,. Have to be careful as top sections can be vulnerable to breakage, at least for this clumsy fella.

It is really a combination of the long rod and the light line. With a long rod and a heavy line, the line would still hang straight down from the rod tip. With a short rod and light line, you couldn't keep much line off the surface (still OK for very small streams). Rod companies are starting to make long rods for European Nymphing, but they are still mostly just 10 or 11 feet. The most common length for a tenkara rod is probably 12 feet and many are 14 feet.
    Tenkara Bum

Quote Originally Posted by 8wt View Post
    Kaboom. * Length of line is about the same as rod. Most of the leader is underwater, so very easy to keep line off water. My experience is very good for hooking fish, but tougher than western in fighting and landing larger fish and in fast water. Easy to pack. All in all an enjoyable way to fish. Oh yeah,. Have to be careful as top sections can be vulnerable to breakage, at least for this clumsy fella.
    I am telling you that I have made 20 foot Tenkara lines more than once. 15 foot lines are the normal thing that I sell at the shows. Unless common core has changed things, 15 plus 5 equals 20. With a 12 foot rod, it is impossible to keep all the line off the water.
    Once had a fella ask for a 30 foot line and I told him to buy a 1 wt dt line and cut it in half. He would like it better.

Brad
    -W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    I am telling you that I have made 20 foot Tenkara lines more than once. 15 foot lines are the normal thing that I sell at the shows. Unless common core has changed things, 15 plus 5 equals 20. With a 12 foot rod, it is impossible to keep all the line off the water.
    Once had a fella ask for a 30 foot line and I told him to buy a 1 wt dt line and cut it in half. He would like it better.

Brad
    I don't doubt you. There are a lot of tenkara anglers who want to cast a long line. I think casting a long line eliminates the primary benefit tenkara offers (keeping your line off the water), but some guys value the portability or simplicity and don't care about the better presentations.
    Tenkara Bum

Quote Originally Posted by CM_Stewart View Post
    I don't doubt you. There are a lot of tenkara anglers who want to cast a long line. I think casting a long line eliminates the primary benefit tenkara offers (keeping your line off the water), but some guys value the portability or simplicity and don't care about the better presentations.
    Thank you C M for the response. Fairly typical for some folks to take a simple concept and turn it into something it isn't. Happens all the time.

Brad
    -W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    Thank you C M for the response. Fairly typical for some folks to take a simple concept and turn it into something it isn't. Happens all the time.

Brad
    Too true, Kaboom. And I think fly fishermen especially have a hard time leaving simple things simple. My vest is proof.

I mostly use a rod length line for small stream Tenkara, but I often carry a longer line and use it for fishing lakes. I don't need to hold the line off the water in lakes, and the extra length helps. An extra Tenkara line weighs nothing and costs little. It's handy when I'm hiking into a high country lake and fish creeks along the way.

Actually, you can hold more than a rod length out of the water, even on an upstream cast. The line must be light, and you need some type of "anchor". A sunken fly and some tippet in the water provides enough resistance which allows you to hold some extra line up. This is somewhat like Euro nymphing where you lead the fly downstream with your line at an angle to the water. With a light fly, you can't do this very long, so the Tenkara gurus often use very short drifts.

Slow runs or low water with spooky fish are another good spot for long lines. Although you can't hold much line off the water, light Tenkara lines fall very gently to the surface for a stealthy presentation. An alternative to a 3 weight western with a very long leader.

No doubt some use a longer than rod length line as Mr. KaBoom, etal have indicated for various situations. For me, a rod length for smaller streams has worked best for me plus that was the way I was shown by very experienced trout guides at the local shop. Didn't seem to foul nearly as much either as when using a longer length of level line. At least for me. Now that I've relocated to the panhandle of FL, I will no doubt try some longer lengths for bream. Will help me fit in with the cane polers as well as the collapsible bream poles used around here. Not sure if I will find a use in the salt for it though.

+ Reply to Thread