+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about moth balls

Default Question about moth balls

About a year ago a gent gave me a pheasant tail from a bird he'd taken, and as usual I put it in a big plastic box along with my other tying materials, recently opened the box for the first time in a good while and caught the scent of moth balls, not terribly strong but had no trouble sniffing out the culprit, wasnt strong enuff to catch when I put it away but after being closed up its noticeable, give it a 2- on a 1 to 10 scale, pulled a few other articles (2 other tails I had bought, couple pouches of dubbing and chanielle, all kept in package it was bought in.) out and gave them a sniff and some did have a very faint (1- minus on the scale) odor .

Even tho every thing but the tail is still kept in the packaging it came in,whats y'alls thought on the effect on the other materials ??
    Last edited by BR-549; 08-21-2016 at 05:13 AM.

Hey Johnie!
    How are you doing?
    The moth ball/crystal scent should clear up with a little airing out. Handling the materials may be another issue! I'm sure someone here can help you with that.

Blog Entries

If your worried about contact, they are made to be kept in closed spaces with clothing that you put on your body. Wash your hands after tying and you should be fine. They shouldn't effect the tying properties of anything.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I've got paradichlorobenzene tablets in my plastic boxes that contain natural furs and/or feathers. I haven't noticed any differences once they air out.

Good deal, kind of figured it would air out since the scent wasnt very strong, but hated the thoughts of it ruining everything else, knew you gents would put me straight, have removed the smelly tail so just not have to even worry about it anymore.

Miss ya Jack, just sent you a email (hope the address is the same) wish you were still just down the mountain from me, stay outta trouble.
    Last edited by BR-549; 08-21-2016 at 09:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread