+ Reply to Thread

Thread: South Bend Boo

Default South Bend Boo

What is the quality of the South Bend Boo rods. And does refinishing a rod take away from the quality (if its done correctly). Any info is appreciated.

wireguy

I have a South Bend Model 52 Split Cane Fly Rod (7 wt). It has the original silk guides,and has been hibernating in a closet for 50 years. With the new Cortland "Sylk" fly line, it has been singing it song this summer, as I have been tubing for Largemouth Bass. ~Parnelli

PS: Maybe you should repost your question on the Rod Building: Cane and Graphite BB, there will be many more replies from folks that know more than I do!

South Bend bamboo rods are THE blue collar bamboo rod. They were inexpensive in their day and current prices reflect that. That said , they can be an excellent intro into bamboo. Models w/ two digit numbers were "steelhead/bass" action. Three digit models were "trout action".
    Excellent choice for refinishing/rebuilding. Project rods needing only a refinish can be had for as little as $30 at the local antique shop ( sometimes).
    Ferrules were typicly chrome plated brass and it is not unusual to find that they are split. Replacement nickle silver ferrules can cost more than the refinished rod is worth. If the cane is solid, and the ferrules are good, I say go for it. It can be lots of fun, and you will gain the experience needed to refinish the next rod, and there will be a next one -- trust me.
    BTW remove and remount the ferrules even if they look like they are still mounted tightly. It is easy enough to do when the rod is stripped, and a real bummer to do after the rod has been rewrapped and varnished. Also consider adding more guides. Lots of SB rods were made less expensively by using fewer guides. I like to figure the lenght of the rod in feet -- plus one = number of snake guides plus stripper. A 9 foot rod would have ten snakes plus stripper.
    Does the rod in question have a model #?
    AgMD

Wireguy,
    John Gierach did a bamboo article in the old Warmwater Fly Fishing Magazine. he rated Heddon at the top of the old production rods, with SouthBend in the mid-range. I have an old SouthBend 291 & love it. I am NOT very knowledgeable, but those who are have nothing bad to say about this rod.
    A good restoration should add to the quality. I know mine did.
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I "cleaned-up" an old Montaque boo rod a few years back. The large ferrule was split. Instead of searching for expensive replacements I wrapped it with fine copper magnet wire and floated solder through the wire. It holds it so secure that I can cast with it and the split remains tightly closed! Good luck! Ron G.

Southbend rods are not tremendously valuable as collector items go. Their top long rods like the 323 Dry fly rods or the 23 or 24 bass rods are worth about $200 in excellent condition. If you have one that needs major refinishing work it is worth quite a bit less. You do not have a lot of "value" to lose. In terms of quality, you are creating a functional fishing tool. If you end up with a rod you will be happy with at a reasonable price - go for it.

You might check over on the Classic Rod site (http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum). There have been a couple of discussions on SB rods recently. The general conclusions are that most of the people in the discussions like the top SB rods quite a bit and think they are much under appreciated.

David (fisher of an old SB 323 that works just fine)

Dear wireguy,

It's doubtful that you'll ever collect enough South Bends to fund your retirement, but as others have said they have many models that make fine fishing rods.

If you pick one up for $ 20.00 or $ 30.00 that needs work give a refinish a shot. If you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself I can put you in touch with a guy near you who will do it for a reasonable fee.

I have several South Bend "trout" rods with the 3 digit model number and enjoy fishing them all. I also have a number 24 that is a fine heavy duty 7 weight bass and panfish rod.

If you find a South Bend that passes the "wiggle" test take it home. You'll probably enjoy using a piece of history, I know I do.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Thanks for all the input folks. I am actually not looking to collect at least not yet. I am looking for a fishable rod and found one South Bend for 60 refinished and am going to buy it. The pictures look good the furrels look as though there are no cracks it does look well used but has been refinished. I figure it would be a good rod to fish for bass and into me to the boo addiction. Thanks again

wireguy

Wire

Give me a call if you need anything or want some help touching that boo up.

Randy

A refinished SB boo rod for $60 is a good deal. There's been a recent increase in value on Ebay for these rods- most are at this $ but not yet refinished. It took someone many times that in time and effort evenmore if they had to add new components. I've been down that road a few times. Congrats, go fish.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+ Reply to Thread