+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustation

Default Frustation

I was chasing bluegills with my 2wt over the weekend, fishing a March Brown dry. The gills were hitting it and dunking it but very few actually took it. These were pretty small gills but the fly was the smallest I had in the box; probably a 14 or so. So was the fly too big? Were they mad at it but just not hungry? Opinions?
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Not sure why, but did you try another fly?

Rick

Of course; but just curious why this behavior with the dry.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I've had them do this before and it is indeed frustrating. It's almost like they're bumping it with their noses just to see what it is and if it's edible or not.

Jim Smith

Maybe they wanted to sink the fly, then eat it beneath the surface?
    Maybe the fly was getting deflected when they'd hit the hackle, so they couldn't grab the fly?
    Fish can definitely be tricky to figure out sometimes!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I think smaller gills will often pull it under and cripple it before taking it, if at all. I see it a lot as well.

I finally got out today to do some bluegill therapy. I had a lot of fun watching them try to whack some Gartside Gurglers. I did get a couple but after a very trying July this was needed, believe me.
    Anyhow these gills were going after #10 gurglers. I did get a big swirl in some weeds, but no hook up. I agree that that the smaller ones "pick" at the prey to cripple it. I would have 3 or 4 picks per cast. But again, just to get out and catch 3 was very helpful.
    Mike

We have been amused (sometimes at length!) by small BG's grabbing the tail of a woolybugger and shaking it like a dog killing a rat and then swim away. Job done.......?
    ....lee s.

In my experience when this is the case I will hand twist retrieve the fly n only set the hook when I feel the fish..it works more often then not..also..try a Michigan may fly emerger..Google it..you'll see what I mean..they work when not much else will...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

1baf1c3cd03376bfccb15a5630eb8465.jpg if this works is the basic pattern tweak as you see fit..
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread