+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Montana Fishing Closures

I had been under the misimpression that river closures were based solely on the water reaching a certain temperature. Apparently water temperature is not the only criteria, and the decisions are based on judgements being made within the FWP on various factors, including water levels within the individual streams, that would be stressful to trout.

There was a lengthy front page article in yesterday's Livingston newspaper discussing this subject that included statements made by FWP Commission Chairman Dan Vermillion and others. Apparently I was not alone in not understanding what triggered these hoot owl restrictions as John Bailey, owner of Dan Bailey's Fly Shop in Livingston, was quoted in the article as also not fully understanding FWP's policy.

FWP's drought policy calls for angling restrictions when flows drop below critical levels for fish, when water quality is diminished, or when water temperatures increase to levels that stress fish for three consecutive days.

In summary, even if water temperatures drop, angling restrictions could remain in place for awhile until water flows increase. Since water levels typically do not increase at this time of the year, these restrictions could remain in place for weeks or even longer on some streams.

I recently moved to Missoula. Any idea when the water levels usually begin to rise?

Blackfoot was really low yesterday. By 10 am the temp was starting to rise. I never fish after 10 am. Besides,
    it looks like most of the fish were in the deep holes. Between 3 anglers none of us had a single hit. I didn't see
    any rises.

Well at least I got a chance to practice my double spey casting.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    Any idea when the water levels usually begin to rise?
    I wouldn't expect much until fall rains/snows. Last summer it was bone dry, hot, with fires all around NW Montana thru July-Aug. Finally got some much-needed rains in early Sep that dampered the fires but they shouldered into the fall.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

+ Reply to Thread