+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carrying tippet

Default Carrying tippet

Seems there's been a fair amount of talk lately about vests,lanyards,etc.

Reminds me of a tip I hadn't considered before.

The idea was not to carry your tippet exposed to sunlight ...as some do on a lanyard....the claim was it subjects it to faster deterioration.

sunlight i.e. uv rays - Bad! Does deteriate, but then again how much time do you spend fishing out in bright sunlight. Rhetorical question: How long should you keep a spool of tippet anyway? (Sincerely/humbly asked) My chest pack has a zippered compartment for the tippet material.

------------------
    Live each day as if it were your last, some day you'll be right!
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

I usually carry mine on the lanyard, but it's covered by a fuzzy elastic, that holds it to the spool, which is dark plastic. How much worry/time to the UV/sunlight for it to affect the tippett material? As many times as my tippett and fly adornes the closest tree, I go through a spool fairly quickly.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Like Betty, I use the small elastic bands which keep the tippet on the spool and seem to do a pretty good job protecting the material from any harmful UV rays.

But as a matter of course, I replace all my tippet material at the start of each season. I read somewhere about doing that to insure the integrity of the tippet material (probably on a tippet manufacturer's website).

Best,
    Will

I have been told by fly shop personnel that it should be replaced once a year. But I think manufacturers and shops a good reason to want us all to replace our tippet once a year. I have several spools of tippet I have had for several years which I had in my float tube. But I have not been using the float tube for several years so I am now using it. I do not notice that am having any unusual break offs or a significant number of break offs.

Having said that I a couple of years a go I did have a spool of 6x tippet that was breaking a lot. It could have been no more than three years old but I have no idea how lon it had been in a fly shop or what fly shop it was. After switching on and off with another spool of 6x I determined the 6x was bad and threw it away.
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

Betty- I use your tree adornment technique too. If the stuff degraded faster, my flies wouldn't still be in that one willow over the pool taunting me.

Nonetheless, I'm sure there's a big difference between disappearing and just breaking more easily.

I don't fish enough to have any viable comment, so I'll comment anyway. I've been using a lanyard for about 1 year now, and I carry 3 spools. (4X, 5X, and 6X) All spools are about 3 years old and I haven't noticed any failure yet. My tippets are S/A and RIO.

------------------
    Life, is the time He gave you to determine where you want to spend eternity.
    ----------
    Lotech Joe
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Scruffy Fly,,, find a new fly shop fast. These guys are crooks. Period.

Gotta agree with that...

And IMHE...[I mean the 'E']...if you haven't used it in awhile...tie your usual knot...yank on it ... and if it breaks before you think it should ..throw it away.

JC may just have hit the nail on the head. I'm on the water 150 days a year, and I always have my tippet exposed to sun. I have never had it deterioriate due to sun exposure.

------------------
    Jude
    Late to bed,
    Early to Rise,
    Guide all day,
    Tie more flies!
    www.customflys.com

+ Reply to Thread