+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Michigan FI

Default Michigan FI

I, as were apparently all others, was not sworn to silence regarding the recent Michigan Fish-In. So, there WAS a MIFI recently. I arrived Monday staying at Gates and had to leave Thursday due to some pressing business issues. I only met Brad and Bill. They did their thing and I did mine. The weather cooperated nicely and the fishing was fair ( for myself). I now calculate my "fish-inch" cumulative cost for all times I've attended the MIFIs to be in the range of $ 55 per inch. That is not a complaint. It's a beautiful river and Gates serene location lowers ones blood pressure to almost a need to resuscitate. There were the good old days when many more attended and a great time was had by all but now I stiil can say, I had a good time.

Mark

I had hopes to attend but was not able to drive that far or fish with a very swollen right hand requiring too much medication to be safe. Doc seems to think there may be an end to this so maybe next year.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Marco, I was there and missed meeting you! Sorry we never connected as I fished with Brad just about everyday.

My experience in fishing the Au Sable this year was very positive. I'd have to say the average was 20 fish per day. Granted, most of the fish were fairly small natives (Brooks & Browns mostly, I only caught one rainbow this time). My BIG fish were only in the 10 - 12 inch range. Brad has pictures of one nice Brown he brought to hand and I was with him when he hooked a very respectable fish that may have been 14+ inches? I'd give him the catch on that one as he had the leader in hand but the fish got off before we could get a really good look at it. I saw some MUCH bigger fish that I didn't or couldn't catch. All in all it was a fabulous time on some really great water. While the fishing was "technical" in some locations, it really wasn't difficult fishing or wading.

Small flies were the ticket with 18 and 20 BWO emergers really being the best choice under most conditions, most days. I had some luck with the same patterns tied in Sulphur colors. We stopped over at John Campbell's beautiful place above Whirlpool. Had cocktails on the dock and fished. It was such a good place Brad and I went back for a second run at it later in the week. Thanks John and Sylvia for the hospitality you extended. Loved what you've done with the house!

While the numbers of fisherman were down from past years, all I can say is if you didn't come you missed a great time. The weather was FANTASTIC! I even had to wear a fleece jacket a couple of days. Those that know me will understand how remarkable that is. The fish were there if you gave them the right fly with the right presentation. While it was only my second trip to the Holy Waters I can safely say I plan to return for future fish-ins. It's just too much fun not too!

In addition to fish I got to see lots of wildlife. Deer feeding on the aquatic plants in North Branch, muskrats in almost every locations I stopped at, a beaver or two here and there, grouse drumming along the stream, woodcock flushing as you walked to the runs, saw my first confirmed Kirkland's Warblers, and a mature Bald Eagle did a fly by.

All in all a nice trip that I'm anxious to do again!
    Last edited by alra195; 07-12-2016 at 09:02 PM.
    Joe Bertolini

Joe and Brad,
    It was a pleasure getting with you at our place and glad you enjoyed the environment and fishing. We thoroughly enjoyed your visit and sorry that we missed Marco and Luba. As you know we had guest that week and I was not in a good position to fish with you, but do take advantage of it most days. It's called Holly Water for many reasons. My wife asked me to correct her name with you. Sylvia and not Shirley Hope to see you again next year if not sooner. There is always plenty of Makers on hand. All our best. JC
    God Bless America

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I, as were apparently all others, was not sworn to silence regarding the recent Michigan Fish-In. So, there WAS a MIFI recently. I arrived Monday staying at Gates and had to leave Thursday due to some pressing business issues. I only met Brad and Bill. They did their thing and I did mine. The weather cooperated nicely and the fishing was fair ( for myself). I now calculate my "fish-inch" cumulative cost for all times I've attended the MIFIs to be in the range of $ 55 per inch. That is not a complaint. It's a beautiful river and Gates serene location lowers ones blood pressure to almost a need to resuscitate. There were the good old days when many more attended and a great time was had by all but now I stiil can say, I had a good time.

Mark
    Mark, owning a second home on the AuSable and paying property taxes, I think my cost per inch far exceeds your. However, it's worth every cent to me and our extended family Hope to see you next year.
    God Bless America

Sylvia - My sincerest apologies and thanks for pointing my mistake out! My bad! You and John were most gracious in welcoming us into your beautiful home. Getting to meet you both and visiting with you was one of the highlights of the trip. Hope to see you both in 2017. Safe travels and enjoy your great place on the river!
    Joe Bertolini

Gentlemen, Joe, JC,
    I too am sorry I missed meeting with you at the MIFI this year. JC, Bill told me your home was BEAUTIFUL and too bad I didn't get a chance to see it.. There was no communication as to who is fishing where etc.,which would have been helpful. As it was, my evenings were spent at the fire pit sharing lies with other Gates guests. I hoped some of the MIFI attendees would appear and add their days adventures, but nada. I concentrated my fishing to the McMasters bridge and upstream. Had some GREAT "looks" and rejections. Caught about six, the largest being about 10/12 inches and all on orange or whitish #12 stimulators. As I mentioned in my original post, it kinda ain't all about the catchin.

Mark

Marco,
    The fishing must have been good then. You were lucky to catch anything on a huge attractor fly like that
    God Bless America

Gents

Sorry I am a little late to the party, but I am preparing for another excursion. Going to Canada to tangle with a few Northern Pike, Walleye and Brookies. Been tying flies...huge flies! Kinda hard going from size 18-20 to 5/0!

The fishing at this years Fish In was as good as it's ever been.....probably the best in the 11 years I have been going to Michigan for the Fish In. Never got to the South Branch, was having too much fun on the North Branch and the main stream.
    John and his wife are gracious hosts. They put up with a couple of trout bums in rubber pants and never lost their smiles. Thank you John and Sylvia.
    Folks, if you ever thought of coming to a Fish In I cannot recommend The Michigan Fish In enough. Plenty of access points, very easy wading on a sand/gravel bottom. Accommodations from primitive camping to full fledged lodges. The dates for next year's Fish In are June 25th to July 1st. Really hope some of you will try and make the trip. You will not regret it.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

+ Reply to Thread