+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GSP Thread - Need For Cement?

Default GSP Thread - Need For Cement?

Except for larger flies (#14 and bigger), I have started using 18/0 GSP thread for about everything due to its strength, no build-up and it disappearing on the hook. There has been a lot of discussion about its slipperiness that I only find is a problem with the first 3 or 4 wraps. After that I don't notice it. However, it definitely is slippery and I wonder if a whip finish knot with it may not be as tight as with regular thread. For those of you who use GSP regularly, do you find it more necessary to use glue or cement on the finishing knot? Not meaning to start the debate again about head cement, but I wonder if with GSP it may help holding the knot.

Joe

Joe,

Haven't tried GSP thread so I can't answer your question, but I was wondering how you like it? I've been thinking about trying some, either the 12/0 or 18/0, to see how it works on smaller deer hair flies.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Scott,

About the only time I use deer hair is for Stimulators (many times I use Widow's Web instead of hair) or just for wings, but I like it a bunch. It is amazing how many wraps you can put on with the 18/0 and not even notice it's on the hook. And, it's very strong.

Joe

When Chris Helms sold me my first spool of GPS thread he emphasized the need to put a drop of super glue on the tie in. Of course we were talking about spinning big bunches of deer hair which calls for really reefing down on the thread.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

A trick I saw a tier use was the use of an emory board to scuff up an inch or two of the thread at both tie-in and tie off along with the use of super clue.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

50 plus years ago when I learned to tie flies you pulled your thread through a block of beeswax before tying your fly. Works as well with GSP today as it did with silk then.

Jerry

Never noticed that the knots were any weaker with GSP than standard thread. Never liked they stuff myself for a host of reasons. Who's thread are you using? Moser's Powersilk was all the rage until everyone figured out what a pain it was to use, and now I do not know anyone who uses it, except maybe the czech nymph crowd. History repeating itself?
    Last edited by whatfly; 06-30-2016 at 12:35 AM.

Semperfli 18/0. I think it is great thread for the reasons I stated earlier. I know a lot of people who still use Power Silk but I like the smaller diameter of the 18/0. I'm sure I would like the Veevus 18/0 GSP, too.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. At that price, I cannot see any reason to ever try it. The Veevus 30 denier is at least in the right ballpark. Have yet to find a situation where I would need a GSP thread in that small a size, however.

+ Reply to Thread