+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Doubles

Default Doubles

This year i seemto be tuned in to catching two fish at a time on a two fly set up.In the past month i have caught the following doubles:
    rainbow trout -sand bass
    bluegill- bluegill
    bluegill- lm bass
    catfish - catfish
    lm-bass- lm bass

Today i caught 3 doubles of lm bass two 3.5 lb, two 1.5 lb, two 10inch. the bass were busting bait over deep water in schools of 5 or 6 fish all in the school seemed to be the same size

It not that I have not caught doubles before but never with this kind of frequency .To tell you the truth i am afraid i am going to be struck by lightning

That's pretty cool! Especially the multispecies doubles! I haven't tried two flies... how do you keep the flies from becoming tangled?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Tie the top fly to the 5" tag from the tippet to leader knot, tie the bottom fly to the end of the tippet 20-24" away from top fly. the top fly is light weight or unweighted and the bottom fly is weighted.

I caught a double on bass last year and a bluegill/bass double this year, both on a hopper 'n' dropper rig.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Blog Entries

ok,

For lightning you need to fish triple fly rigs Congrats on so many doubles. It is rather unusual to have so many. I love it when the fish try to go in opposite directions.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Sage I have caught a few triples but years and years ago in Michigan in a lake that had schools of yellow perch. if you didn't bring it in fast after the first one hit you would occasionally end up with 3.

The bad part of a multiple fly rig is when a bigger fish flops during the release and sticks the extra fly in a finger . i fish barb-less as i imagine most of you do but it still stings . If it was not for the bigger catfish i would give three flies a shot again in warm water. i do fish 3 flies for trout all the time although double trout are very rare

+ Reply to Thread