+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big fish coming off

Default Big fish coming off

Hello all. I don't post a whole lot. I am self taught basically and the last two years it appears I am putting it all together and getting into fish regularly and hooking big fish (18 plus inches) on a steady basis. The bigger ones seem to be throwing the hook when they fight by going deep and giving a steady strong pull then a pretty violent headshake. I am keeping the line tight and tip up. I know it is fairly vague but am I doing something wrong or is that just fishing? Thank you for any help.

Blog Entries

If your keeping your hooks very sharp then I suspect its why the call it fishing and not catching.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

the big ones are flat out harder to catch.

heelerdog,

What size and style of hook are you using?

Also, what size and kind of tippet (i.e. monofilament or fluorocarbon) are you using?

Thanks

Vinny

Quote Originally Posted by spinner1 View Post
    the big ones are flat out harder to catch.
    This; they get big for a reason. Also, since I release all the fish I catch, I never get upset when I lose nice ones (fighting hard to keep a straight face).

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Thanks for the replies.
    Eric, I keep the hooks sharp. I check sharpness after release or getti g snagged.

Vinny, The hook sizes have varied from a size 10 salmonfly to a size 18 caddis nymph. Tippet was appropriate to the size fly. With the exception of usually staying with 4x tippet with nymphs.

I guess I will just have to keep trying.

Dog, I'll step my foot in here at the risk of having it bit off. You described a common situation....rod high as we are told, big fish dogging deep and head shaking. If he runs point the rod. Weeeeeelll......next time try something different.

I seldom hold a high rod anymore on big fish. Only when bringing them to the net, and even then I don't like it. When they decide to dog deep, don't let them have their way. Roll your rod to the side, and the minute they seem to get their bearings, roll the rod over to the other side.

On big fish when I feel over matched due to rod/rig, I'll bury the rod tip in the water and rotate it. It tends to throw them off at times and helps you regain the edge on the fight. A tactic recommended by a guide friend of mine, and it does tend to work.

On big fish, if you let them have their way and just react to them....they will beat you.

On the other hand....as mentioned....it is fishing. And bi fish get big by learning what works.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    . When they decide to dog deep, don't let them have their way. Roll your rod to the side, and the minute they seem to get their bearings, roll the rod over to the other side.

On big fish when I feel over matched due to rod/rig, I'll bury the rod tip in the water and rotate it. It tends to throw them off at times and helps you regain the edge on the fight. A tactic recommended by a guide friend of mine, and it does tend to work.
    very valuable advice

To repeat advice given earlier, sharp hooks. No just when you tie it on, check and resharpen after every time you snag a limb or rock. I fight fish with a flyrod like I do with a casting rod; pump and wind, but be ready to let the fish have a little line.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I agree with Ralph's advice.

When the fish is headed down deep (or to fast current, for that matter), you need to turn that fish before they get the upper hand.

You said that you usually use 4x tippet for nymphs. Do a little test and rig up your rod, using 4x tippet. Tie the tippet to something solid near the ground.
    Back up from the 'anchored' tippet about 20-30ft and bend the rod as though you had a fish on the line. Use only steady, even pressure.
    Keep a good angle on the rod, using the entire length of the rod to 'fight the fish'. See how much leverage you can put on your 'fish' with that 4x tippet, again only using steady, even pressure. You may be surprised by how much pressure you can put on a 'fish'.

A guide friend of mine showed me this some years back. We were using 5x tipped. He just stood in the stream and held the tippet wrapped around a couple fingers.

I was amazed by how much force I could put on the line without breaking it.

Hope my 2 cents helps.

Brian

+ Reply to Thread