+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Monster Mayan cichlid

Default Monster Mayan cichlid

If you've ever caught a Mayan cichlid, then you know what speed and strength is. These are amazing exotics that live in south Florida. Typically, we catch Mayans that go 10 inches or less. However, I've found a lake just east of Naples where the largest Mayans I've ever encountered reside. I've caught them up to 16 inches. These brutes are something to behold on fly rod. John Weimer of the Mangrove Cost Fly Fishers and I got on the road early and hit the lake just before sunrise. We started casting poppers and found some large Mayans quickly. We stuck to that method the rest of the day and found the fishing only got better. We caught some monster Mayans. In addition, we caught largemouth bass, bluegill, stumpknocker and an unlikely oscar. I caught the oscar on a popper. Never had even seen an oscar in this lake -- let alone caught one. The Mayans are spawning. We found several areas along rocky shorelines where they were on their nests. The trick was to cast the popper to the shoreline, twitch in once and let it sit. You could see the Mayans rise up to inhale the offering.
    Color didn't seem to matter.

Great report and picts! Those fish are beautiful.

Those are JUMBO Mayans, Steve! Does Florida have a State Record category for these?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Beautiful fish and from the looks of your rod, they put up a great fight as well. I envy you having additional warmwater species to chase.

Jim Smith

Nice looking fish. Looks like a lot of fun also.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Those are JUMBO Mayans, Steve! Does Florida have a State Record category for these?
    I'm not sure the state keeps records on Mayans, but I found this at http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/pr...ayan-cichlid/:

Largest measured by Commission scientists was 12.6 inches and weighed 1.5 pounds, but may reach larger sizes as the IGFA world record is listed at 15 inches and 2.5 pounds; maximum reported age is 7 years.

GREAT report Steve!
    I love your "bent pole" pics.
    Thanks to your advice on the bridges, we were fortunate enough to pester some (many) of those on our trip. The fishing in your state will certainly tempt us back.

Quote Originally Posted by lee s View Post
    GREAT report Steve!
    I love your "bent pole" pics.
    Thanks to your advice on the bridges, we were fortunate enough to pester some (many) of those on our trip. The fishing in your state will certainly tempt us back.
    Glad you and Susan had a great time and caught a few fish. You ain't seen nothing, yet! Looking forward to your return trip.

+ Reply to Thread