+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: St Croix Bass Mojo rod

Default St Croix Bass Mojo rod

Okay, I saw the ad in American Angler for the St. Croix Mojo Bass rod. At $150, seems good to me. The other rod in consideration is the TFO Clouser Rod. The St Croix is 7' 11', huh not 8', and the newest TFO Clousers are 9'. Anyone have some thoughts on either or both?
    Thanks,
    Mike

The 7'11" length is for guys that want to use the rods in bass tournaments that have rod length restrictions. St. Croix and TFO both make fantastic rods, IMO and experience. I've heard good reviews of the TFO Clouser. TFO has a pretty good warranty, too.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    The 7'11" length is for guys that want to use the rods in bass tournaments ...
    Yes ... both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by melk View Post
    Okay, I saw the ad in American Angler for the St. Croix Mojo Bass rod. At $150, seems good to me. The other rod in consideration is the TFO Clouser Rod. The St Croix is 7' 11', huh not 8', and the newest TFO Clousers are 9'. Anyone have some thoughts on either or both?
    If you're throwing BIG flies, you might also consider the TFO Mini Mag. Never fished one, but I've heard good things.

Thanks for the input so far. I was thinking 8wt but might go for a 6 or 7. ARRRGHHH, these decisions we must make!
    Thanks,
    Mike

I am sponsored by TFO, but haven't used the Clouser or Mini Mag. I have recently switched the the TFO BVKs and really like them. I have them in 6, 7 and 8 weights. Great rods for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFly View Post
    I am sponsored by TFO, but haven't used the Clouser or Mini Mag. I have recently switched the the TFO BVKs and really like them. I have them in 6, 7 and 8 weights. Great rods for the money.
    I really like the BVK's too. Have them in 5, 6, and 7 wts.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I like BVK too!

Lot of love for the BVK here. I have owned and used a variety of fly rods over the years. Have to say I like the BVK above all others. Great rod for a great price. I have them all matched with the very nice BVK reels. Lefty did a great job designing these rods and reels.

Full disclosure: I do not own and have never cast a BVK. From the online comments I've seen, though, I've come to two conclusions:

1) The BVK's are the lightest, prettiest, best casting rods TFO has ever produced.

2) They tend to break a lot.

In all fairness, I hear more "I love my BVK" stories than "I broke my BVK" stories. (This thread is typical of that.)

I do hear a lot of breaking stories, though.

+ Reply to Thread