+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Remembers their first fly rod caught trout?

10" Brookie on a #10 Dave's Hopper from the East Fork Sinnemahoning River, Wharton Twp, Pa. June 2000. Still have and fish that Orvis 865-2 Clearwater fly rod I received as a Father's day gift just a week before!
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

My first fish on a fly rod was a small rainbow caught from the Current River in Missouri. I had fished for trout since I was about 6, but never with a fly rod.
    I caught that first "fly rod fish" on a #18 BWO. I was moving upstream from one hole to another when I saw some splashing in a very narrow, shallow run.
    Since the water was pretty skinny, it was moving pretty quickly. I couldn't see any trout in there, but the splashing caught my eye.

I waited and observed for a few minutes...and sure enough, there were some trout rising. I could see some small gray bugs flying about so I figured a BWO was the closest thing I had. I tied it on and had a strike immediately. I have a picture of that little fish somewhere. It was no great fish by any means. But it was my first with a fly. I was probably hooked better than that little rainbow was.

Dont remember my first fish on a fly rod but I do remember my first wild brookie. Caught on the Rapidan in the SNP .a beautiful 8 " one that would have rivaled the finest French watercolor. Caught a bunch that day and while I enjoy catching large trout, there is something special about a mtn. stream wild trout on a two or three wt.
    it's all good drifts

1954, Reverse Creek, June Lake, CA...

..on a custom fiberglass rod made by Ralph Dadasman of the Long Beach Casting Club...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Little stocked brown on the Clear Fork in central Ohio!
    Isaiah 41:10

Brown trout on a hornberg, I think it was 1967 or 68.

Rainbow trout on a hare's ear nymph, Gold Lake, Colorado, 1978.

Ted

Barber Park, Boise Idaho. Don't rember the date, but it was late 90s. It ate an Adams and was about 13 inches long. And it tasted really good.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Just caught my first trout on the fly, and a fly I tied myself at that, last summer while up at our land in the UP. Brother in law and I found a little alder choked stream and I roll casted a copper colored wooly bugger along a log. Caught this little brookie and then caught his brother on the next cast. Wasn't much, but it was enough to hook me on both fly fishing for trout in the UP and fly tying.

-Jameson

Four years ago I started going to Healing Waters in Murfreesboro, TN and this is where I meet a man almost everyone on FAOL will know. His FAOL handle is WarrenP. With-in a month the group were going to take us Fly fishing on the Duck river at the Arrowhead Ranch. I was lucky and got Warren. He took me under his arm and began teaching a 65 year old man how to fly fish. Because of his need to help someone and my need to have some one show me how, I caught my first trout. Thank you Warren for everything you have taught me over the years.

Grateful
    WayneC

+ Reply to Thread