+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knot?

For most of my flies, the Canoe Man Loop knot. Super simple. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfHU6Dr9dKM
    Isaiah 41:10

2. Default

Although I don't suffer from arthritis (not in my fingers, anyhow) I agree with rainbowchaser. My belief has always been that the best knot is the one that can be easily and accurately tied with freezing fingers in failing light. For me, that remains the same old improved clinch knot which I have probably tied millions of times over so many years that it is pure habit.

The clinch and improved clinch are easy to tie with the help of hemostats. I use ones with small beaks when fishing for trout and panfish, where the tippets are darn thin, and medium ones for bass. My hands still work decently, but in fading light, with cold, wet fingers, the hemos are a great help.

Chuck

Old fly fisherman and knot tying are like water, after awhile they simply seek their own level.

I've tried a lot of different knots and finally settled on a few simple ones depending on the circumstances of what I'm doing/using. I should think my main stay is the simple clinch, it has proven itself and I can tie it on in the dark. For something small, like a midge or gnat, with a size 18 hook, that Davy knot is real small, easy to tie and trust worthy. For nymphs and streamers (especially streamers), I use a non slip loop - improves the streamer swimming action for sure. Now, if I get out the 9wt rod and after some big fish, and simply using a straight mono leader (like a 10#), and using a Clouser's Minnow for example, the Palomar is a tough no nonsense knot.

For direct connection to streamers or when using larger mono for poppers, I use a 16/20 knot that Lefty showed me at a show some years ago. For most of my streamer fishing I also use a no-slip loop knot. For everything else, I use an Improved Clinch. I need to learn the riffle hitch in the rare instances when skating a caddis or crackleback dry is the ticket.
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I like both the Orvis knot and the double Davy knot

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    Can I jump in and expand this to include what knot works best for folks with arthritic fingers? I find that tying on a fly is no longer as automatic as it used to be and too often the final test tug shows that I have failed to tie a good knot.
    see the end of the video where a spring loaded fly clamp is used. good luck

http://midcurrent.com/knots/how-to-t...ble-davy-knot/

Uni knot and have been using it for about 35 years, or for wiggle, the Non-Slip Mono knot...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

For those of you (us) that have arthritis starting in on our hands/fingers, you can try the cinch tie knot tyer. Here's a link to a video showing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mD9zJwgyeo

I have one and it sure makes it easier, especially if my hands are cold. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Jack Crawford!

I've been thru many, many yards of 4X to 6X tippet and tested a lot of knots I thought best of all of them. Finally got proven wrong via the "pull test using large bass hooks down to smaller trout hooks and this knot wins my tests over and over.

Gentle, slow pulls to break or a quick snap in different makes of mono, varied tests strengths and using spit to lube a slowly closed knot.

Works for me but to each his own. Also use it in my 80# braided muskie line for chucking baits the size of a brookie with muskie eqpt. and myslef and a good friend of 35 yrs have never busted off a bait with that knot when slinging big baits or setting hooks.

Trouting and 6X, where I need to know I'm comfy with the most strength percentage is where the knot means most to me. This, from waaay too many yards of line and much too much time invested. But, I get like that.

To each his own....it's the knot that you're most comfy with that is THE best knot for you. I found mine and I'm very assured of it....for me!!

Jeremy.

+ Reply to Thread