+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dyeinig with Kool Aid

Default Dyeinig with Kool Aid

I want to try and dye a black starling skin olive with kool aid. What color combinations do I use? Do you think it will work with dark colored feathers on a starling?

Bruce,

You won't be able to turn black feathers olive (unless you bleach the skin first); you will be able to dye the lighter colored tips. I found it a bit tricky getting olive with Koolaid; using Orange and Apple Green, the colors kinda cancelled each other out. I had better luck just using food coloring; mixed a few drops of red and yellow to get a deep orange and then added green a drop at a time to get something approaching olive. Then I added that concentrated color to some water, a few drops of Joy detergent and 2 tablespoons of vinegar; microwave (after pre-soaking/degreasing the skin) for about 90 seconds, check color and either go with it or throw it back in for a bit more radiation.

Here's some sharptail grouse feathers I was trying to get to a golden plover substitute - first dyed bright yellow then overdyed with the olive. Came out a bit too orange; leaving them in the olive longer didn't give me the color I wanted. Less time in the yellow next go-around.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Lastchance,

I agree with Scott, you wont be able to dye the black feathers into olive. When it comes to using Kool-Aid, make sure you use the sugar-free kind if not you will end up with a sticky mess. For natural colors (olives, duns, browns) I prefer to use Veniards. For blues, greens, reds, etc, you can't beat some Kool-Aid. Using vinegar is important to set the color.

Regards,

Alberto

X3 can't be done. When I went to order Veniards most of the places in the US only ordered it twice a year, so anyone who carries it in the US call and make sure they have the color. The Fly Dye from Anglers Workshop works really well and they have Fl. Hot Pink!! which I use on flank feathers for my crappie jigs. Only problem is they don't have a color chart. Even the Veniards and Fly Dye call for vinegar to set the dye well.

Here is a site with color combinations for dying with Kool Aid....

http://www.dyeyouryarn.com/kool-aid.html

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Gentlemen, you my want to look at the chemistry involved in dyeing; vinegar is acetic acid and as you would expect very acid; kool aid is slightly acid; Dawn and most soaps will be slightly base (alkaline); there would seem to somewhat balance the pH of the dye job. Frankly, my chemistry, although better in real life than my freshman year, is not that good on why it is important other than for a longer life of the materials.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread