+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunna do it!

Blog Entries

Have fun hun

Is rod building classified as "hun fun"?

Betty;
    At first you might be apprehensive about starting that rod build, but once you start spining the blank and get all your components ready to go, you'll get the itch back to complete the project.
    In sure we all have times when a rest is needed from building/tying/whatever, but IMO the inspiration is always there, for you're a fly fisherwoman by heart.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Betty,
    Get that rod finished and show us some pictures. As we say around the clinic, if it wasn't documented it never happened. Those blanks should make really sweet casting rods. I don't know if you remember, but I had the 8' 4 weight Diamondglass rod with me at the Bennett Spring Fish In several years ago. It is still one of my favorite rods, but it doesn't get as much use as it once did because I have so many rods to keep in rotation.

Larry

Larry, unfortunately you are one of the reasons for my fascination with glass! Just after that fish in, I built my first, and Cary's first, glass rods. 6'6" Diamondglass 3#. Love, love, love that rod! I've built many a more glass rods since then, and have never lost the love for glass. These two new ones on my table, are going to be great fun! Build was back burnered for a week here, for me to care for our little granddaughter. And you all know how I could go on and on about her! She's an incredible child who doesn't know her limits. She just keeps plugging on. Will say, she had eye surgery on both her eyes a week ago today. First time to see one of anything. Guess what she saw before was a kaleidoscope of everything. Sounds kind of strange ... she "saw" multiple objects at 400/20 before surgery, and now see sees single objects, 400/20. Still legally blind but improving!! She went back home last night, so the rod gets work again!! Yes, there will be pictures...of the rod! not the child.... in the offing.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty,
    I am pleased to hear that I may have, in some small way, been an influence in bringing you toward the Light (glass), and away from the Darkness (graphite). If I remember correctly, Tom Gould, the owner of Fiberglass Flyrodders, met with you guys once before he left Kansas City. I think I remember him saying he had shown some of his glass rods around. Tom joined us at a conclave on the Brazos River down Texas way, and the whole back seat of his car was filled with rod tubes. I know you treasure that granddaughter, as I treaure all my grandkids. I pray that her vision continues to improve; after all she needs to be able to recognize grandma by sight as well as sound.

Larry

So glad there's some improvement with your granddaughter - expect it was a welcome break to care for her instead of working on your glass.

OK, all you nay-sayers and doubters ... well...ok ... so mostly that was me.... the rod has been wrapped twice. First time all the way through to the epoxy, when half the thread "locks" came out (cotton-ie thread that stretched when the epoxy hit it!), and then I laid the arm of my sweater across the signature part of the rod, and just gave up! I stripped the whole thing back to bare blank and started over, with totally different agate, and threads. Looks law together better this time! Took a break with the granddaughter here for 5 days, but should be to the epoxy in the next day or two. This will be a rod I will be proud to fish! Should have pictures shortly.
    Oh ... also, I found that if you lean way in over an alcohol burner (used to singe little fur-ies off the wraps) that the smell of burning hair will linger in the house for hours!! Just an FYI.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

I think we need some photos to actually believe that this happened. Pictures of the singed hair would be good too.

Ted

Oh, Ted. It was not pretty. Not pretty at all.

+ Reply to Thread