+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with rotary vise selection

Default Help with rotary vise selection

I am looking to buy a rotary vise. I am considering a Danica Danvise and an Atlas vise. Any feedback would be appreciated.

kyflyguy

The flyfisherman website had an excellent review of all rotary vises a few years ago. I own a Danvise and a Renzetti traveler . Both are excellent vises. Many tiers on this site are fond of Atlas and other vises. Best advice: Go to a fly shop that sells several brands of vises and try them to see which you prefer. Youtube has many videos of rotary fly tying and you can see advantages and disadvantages of various vices.Also do a search on this site of vice reviews. Welcome to the board ! Remember, new guy chops the wood and brings the beer.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Just bought an Atlas in October and I love it, that being said I agree with Paddy. If I had been able to try some out I believe it would have made my buying experience much less stressful and the choice easier. Taking your time deciding may help out too, as I was able to pick up the Atlas on sale for $118.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

kyflyguy, Here's a link to an article written by one of the members here on FAOL. http://www.flyfisherman.com/featured...ly-tying-vise/ If you are not familiar with Han Weilenmann, he is an extremely talented and knowledgeable fly fisherman and fly tyer from, Denmark. While this article does not include all of the rotary vises available in the marketplace, it does cover many of them in a wide range of prices and discusses the different attributes you want to consider when purchasing a new vise. I personally tie on a NorVise and absolutely love it. I've used other rotary vises, but I found that many of them leave the hook offset from the axis which makes it less user friendly for many tyers. Here's a link to the Norvise website with some videos that show how the Norvise system works. https://norvise.com/product/fly-tying-vises/

Good luck and enjoy whichever vise you end up purchasing.

Jim Smith

Here's another review of lower-cost vises:

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re..._Shoot-Out.htm

Not all are rotary, but the Danvise and Anvil are rated. Like Paddy80701 said, checking some out at a flyshop, if nearby, is a great way to see if they have the features you're looking for. I've been tying with a Renzetti Traveler for almost 20 years and it's everything I'll ever want in a vise.

Welcome to the forum,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

I have a lightly used Danvise I would sell if you are interested.

Picking a vise is like picking a suit of clothes. All the other guys are right. One important factor seldom included in product reviews is your own personal emphasis on the relative importance of different features to your desires. I agonized over this for quite a while and ended up with a Peak for normal use including larger flies and a Renzetti Traveler for smaller sizes and when I felt like being more delicate. The Peak is my workhorse and the Renzetti is my sportcar. Have a good trip and Happy New Year.

I also agree with what's been noted above. IMO, I believe in research based on your pocket book. To find a vice that will suit your needs now and into the future yet, fitting in with your pocket book can be quite a choice to make. I'm certain many of us started out using cheap vices, only to upgrade to one better suited and of better quality to suit our tying skills. Of course, nothing like hands on to try and feel it before you buy it.
    I have been tying on my Renzetti Presentation Clamp Model since the 80's. Does what I need with ease and will allow me to do much more over the years.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

What do you think of it and how much are you looking for?

Thanks
    kyflyguy

It's got a very nice rotary setup, if you do a lot of large flies, and very good hook holding. Would take $40 for it and pay shipping, great way to get started.

+ Reply to Thread