+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another quiery

Question Another quiery

In my opinion the most basic wet fly is a simple, wingless, brown hackle peacock. It was the first fly I caught a trout on and is my "go to" ever since. Why is it that I can find no pics or reference to it in all the discussions. Am I missing something? Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Because wet flies are mostly out of vogue with today's fly fishers?

If you dig through the archives, you'll undoubtedly find some references, but if looking at the phenomena more broadly, consider the total number of fly patterns. It is unlikely they are all going to be discussed in the confines of this forum. The Brown Hackle Peacock is prominent in several pattern books I have, and there is even a youtube tutorial on it, so it is hardly a forgotten fly, just not a popular one, like so many others.

I think almost all experienced fly fishers carry some soft hackles and fly tyers all tie them. The very simplicity of tying and presentation that makes them so universally effective doesn't leave a lot to talk about on this forum. It's more common to find several pages about hatch matching flies because the subjects complexity leaves more room for a debate.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I love the Brown Hackle Peacock! I also caught my first trout on it (after many small sunfish and chubs). The Grey Hackle Peacock is also great. I think raibowchaser summed up the answer to your question.....it's simple to tie and catches fish. Not much room for debate!

I think for many folks they look to newer materials to tie flies. It is like a new fly rod or line will make it better to catch fish.
    Simple to tie flies do not seem to be as popular now.

Rick

I carry a box of each of these in #12 - #18...tied on TMC 5262 and Daiichi 1560 hooks...

PT & Partridge / Peacock & Partridge

I could probably get away with using just these two patterns, all season , in still and moving water and be more than satisfied with the results...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

You might check out http://www.flymphforum.com/. Merry Christmas

There are many on the internet. To make a brown hackle peacock a gray hackle peacock and visa versa, just change the hackle color. Wet flies aren't used as much as they used to be, but there are plenty patterns on the internet to copy.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...p65HB1XBMQJ0EA

http://donbastianwetflies.com/tag/gray-hackle-peacock/

Yep, still tying and fishing them. Great pattern. I use Furnace hen.

P&B.jpg

Blog Entries

I heavily rely on pheasant tail nymphs for my go to fly. leave off the wings sometimes for better success on certain days , other days it pays to leave them on. You can de wing them and jig them as chronomids or surface dap them . very versatile .
    As for the statement that wet flies are mostly out of Vogue , Horsefeathers old son, Horsefeathers.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

+ Reply to Thread