+ Reply to Thread

Thread: older glass rod comes apart when I cast

Default older glass rod comes apart when I cast

Is there an easy way to fix this besides putting some tape or something on the ferrule to tighten it???

If it is a metal ferrule, you might try a very thin coating of Hard as Nails on the male ferrule. I have used that on an old boo rod of mine. If the ferrules are glass, then use either bees wax, or rub candle wax on the male ferrule.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

they are glass ferrules...

use the candle wax. If done right, it will fix it. Will also make them easier to take appart when done. This is reccomended by the manufacturers and often supplied with a new rod.

If it is very loose and wax does not cure the problem, I've read that you could use a chuck from a drill to tighten down on the ferrule to close it some. I've not done this and not sure of its effectiveness or dangers of OVERtightning and crimping the ferrule so go VERY VERY slow!!!!!

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Wednesday Caster: If it is very loose and wax does not cure the problem, I've read that you could use a chuck from a drill to tighten down on the ferrule to close it some. I've not done this and not sure of its effectiveness or dangers of OVER tightning and crimping the ferrule so go VERY VERY slow!!!!!
    Not on a glass ferrule like joelw23 has. That's a trick for metal ferrules only!

Candle wax like JC said, or paraffin like you use for making jelly works best. Beeswax will actually make it harder to get apart but works great on loose metal ferrules as a temporary fix.

Not that I have dirty ears or anything, but.....rubbing the male ferrule behind your ear is sometimes a temporary fix. There is a bit of oiliness/grease?? to be found there most of the time.

rodgerole

I'd rather be fishing!!

+ Reply to Thread