+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Anderson's 5 weight rod shootout results

Blog Entries

Default George Anderson's 5 weight rod shootout results

Anderson's newest 5 wt. rod shootout results are in.
    Pretty comprehensive review of the rods.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ind...oop-optistream

Default Personal Preference

I think this is a kind of subjective test result because rods feel different in different hands. It's kind of a personal preference, don't you think?

They always do a great review. Very thorough and gives a good perspective on what is out there in that class of performance. I enjoy the reviews every year, but unfortunate for me they never include a rod I will buy. I'm a progressive/glass guy, and the only rods I have over 8 feet are bass rods. While I can appreciate the products, it's purely out of curiosity. Would love to see them do a 7-8' 4/5wt small stream review with DT lines review. Then they would really have my attention.

Kinda reminda me of a BEST PIZZA contest where some included anchovies.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Kinda reminda me of a BEST PIZZA contest where some included anchovies.

Mark
    Only some? How could it possibly be BEST PIZZA if doesn't include anchovies?
    Bob

"A comparison of this year’s best five-weight fly rods"

That's the first line below the picture. Best in who's opinion? Kind of subjective right from the start in my mind.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Blog Entries

Brad, Did you read the entire explanation of the criteria used and, where appropriate, the objective data used.......swing weights, warranties, etc.

How would you rate a whole bunch of fly rods concerning casting accuracy at 25' and 45' other than having a number of professionals try them and rate them?

Obviously, there is a lot of subjectivity. But, I have not seen a better attempt to provide good information on a whole lot of fly rods. Certainly better than asking a shop owner who only carries a few rod lines, in my opinion, that is.

i always read it with interest although it is unlikely i will ever need a new rod. i think it is always amazing how well some of the inexpensive rods fair. Thanks for posting it Byron

Blog Entries

Yes, I too enjoy reading about the news and best......About 4 years ago, the "new" Hardy Zenith won. Based on the rating in their rod comparisons, I bought one. Have not been disappointed! It's a great rod. Like so many things we use, they only get better and better!

I always like these shoot outs just so I can see what other fly fishermen think of rods. My one big wish is that they used more than just that one line. I had a 9' 4wt Zenith before the 5 weight won the shoot out that year. I tried the line they used ( i think it was a GPX that year) on a 5 weight ( one of the shops guide rods) it was OK but when I put a RIO gold on it Boom it was a whole lot better. I too am happy that they test some of the less expensive rods that are out there. not everyone can drop $600-$800 on a fly rod, from what I see at the shop most people are hesitant to drop $400-$500 on a rod. Earlier this fall I cast both the Redington Hydrogen ( a clear case where a different line would have been a better choice) and the Fenwick Aetos they are both goo rods for the money. I also cast the Zephyrus and Wraith rods and got much the same feelings as were written about. If you have the $$ and are headed to special place were long casts needed the Wraith is the 1 rod to get. You can chuck a bunch of line and accurately to boot. as was said above - rods are one of the more "personal" parts of FF equipment so your mileage may vary.

steve

+ Reply to Thread