+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What constitutes "crowding" where you fish?

Default n

Actually, that is one of the reasons that I actually prefer to fish warm water now in the Atlanta area. While there is some fairly decent trout fishing in the Hooch, it is almost always combat fishing with rude people crowding you sometimes actually casting over your line while you're fishing. I don't go fishing to get into arguments with rude people, so rather than hassle with them, I stick mainly with warm water. That said, I did have one occasion while I was fly fishing for crappie that sticks out in my mind. I was fishing a 110 acre man-made lake in a wildlife management area. This lake has peninsulas out into the lake to give everyone plenty of room to fish. There's probably 1500 to 2000 easy access shoreline to fish and I was the only person at the lake. Another fisherman showed up and I watched in amazement as unloaded all of his gear (5 gallon bucket, two Zebco outfits etc) and lugged them all the way over to where I was fishing (about 500 feet) and set up his chair five feet to the right of me. I stopped fishing (mainly to avoid hooking this fool) and just stared at him. He just spread out his gear, cast out his line with a one ounce weight and sat down in his chair without saying a word. I was fairly well known at that lake for filling peoples buckets, especially with crappie, and I suspected that he wanted me to do this for him. I was catching plenty of fish, so I just moved about 50 feet to his right and started fishing again. Every time I caught another crappie, I would hold it up for a minute as I unhooked it and I could see out of the corner of my eye looking over at me expectantly. I would then say something like they're biting pretty good today and toss the fish back in. Eventually, he got the hint so I move on to enjoy the rest of my morning. I was taught fishing etiquette by my father when I was a small boy but it still amazes me how some people choose to behave when they are on the water.

Jim Smith
    Last edited by James Smith; 11-02-2015 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Typo

I prefer to never see a soul, unless it is someone i am fishing with. The place I fish the most, a warm water creek near here, i consider crowded if I meet a vehicle on the road in. My prefered place to fish is any stream in the Great Smoky Mountains. There I have never met a rude fisherman. At least so far everyone has always been nice and helpful. But I usually get up early and try to be sitting on the stream bank at daylight, but I've always enjoyed getting up early and seeing the world wake up.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Wherever you fish, you need to pay attention to the dominant etiquette. Nothing is worse than having somebody start fishing right across from me somewhere like the Gardner River, where if I see anyone else fishing the same section I am fishing (usually 1-2 miles in a 4-hour session), it's crowded.

I won't personally fish less than 100 yards from someone else anywhere. If conditions dictate fishing closer than that, I don't fish there. This is the reason I haven't personally fished Soda Butte Creek since about 2007 (though I still guide there if I have to).
    Owner, Yellowstone Country Fly Fishing
    Head Guide, Parks' Fly Shop
    Fly Designer, Montana Fly Company
    Author, Yellowstone Country Flies and River Characters

I try to make verbal contact and agree on a course of action. I find most people are agreeable. The rare times I come upon difficult people I just hike far enough away to be ignored.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Good God, don't ever come to any of the Lake Erie tributaries for steelhead. If you can somehow get a rod-length of open space on either side of you, it won't last long. It's not my preference... no matter what fish I might catch.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

I used to fish the south Louisiana marsh with a guy who would leave an area if there was a boat within sight... even a mile away... But I do have to admit that it was nice to never have to look at or hear another soul while spending a day out chasin' reds...
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    Good God, don't ever come to any of the Lake Erie tributaries for steelhead. If you can somehow get a rod-length of open space on either side of you, it won't last long. It's not my preference... no matter what fish I might catch.
    Ha! You got that right. That is a whole different type of etiquette.

Where I fish in the Driftless area of Wisconsin if there is a car parked at a access area I move to another spot. Too many places to fish without people.

I subscribe to this philosophy...

When I go fishing I like to know that there's nobody within five miles of me. - Norman MacCraig
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Quote Originally Posted by dave j View Post
    Where I fish in the Driftless area of Wisconsin if there is a car parked at a access area I move to another spot. Too many places to fish without people.
    You are fortunate, indeed.

+ Reply to Thread