+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: social media taking the place of our forums?

Default social media taking the place of our forums?

One of my old favorite forums has kind of gone down the tubes, hardly anyone posts anymore, and now the spammers have evidently just "had their way" with it. Now one of the more active ones has kind of had the same thing happen. I talked to one of the more active members on it, and he said that social media had kind of taken its place. While I am not a fan, I kind of see where something like facebook has its place, but don't understand how the bulletin boards just fall prey to those so and sos. Is that one of the things our moderators do for us? Keep the spammers away?

The moderators try their best but the spammers and the other types that have nothing better to do than ruin someone fun are always busy. FAOL has a Facebook page although it does not get much attention since we do not have the resources or the staff to promote it. Times change and sometimes we have little choice but to change with it.

Blog Entries

herefishy,
    When you say "social media" has taken over...............Other than Facebook, what are you referring to?

4. Default

On a slightly different note; one of my favorite (or what used to be favorite) fly fishing forums seems to have been taken over by a small group of (apparently) younger posters who have nothing much to offer in the way of information or intelligent comment, but seem bent on turning every thread into some sort of puerile and asinine exchange of insults and off-color and aimless remarks.

Blog Entries

Herefishy,
    When you say "social media" has taken over..............what are you referring to as "social media" other than Facebook?

I have noticed that forum bulletin boards seem to be less active than in the past, but don't really see "social media" as the reason as I don't see much on Facebook, for example. Can you give examples?

I didn't mean that social media has taken over the forums, but one of the moderators on "utah on the fly" cited social media becoming so popular as a reason that the forum wasn't used as much, so wasn't moderated as much, and if you will take a look at it, you'll see what has happened.

Blog Entries

No, I didn't mean to suggest you said that social media had taken over the forums. I meant, what examples are there that "social media" "has kind of taken its place"........

I'm wondering what you mean by "social media" other than, perhaps, Facebook, and how has such a medium "has kind of taken its place"?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 10-18-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    I didn't mean that social media has taken over the forums, but one of the moderators on "utah on the fly" cited social media becoming so popular as a reason that the forum wasn't used as much, so wasn't moderated as much, and if you will take a look at it, you'll see what has happened.
    Yikes!!!... I just viewed that site and it is inundated with SPAM...that is certainly something that a moderator might address. Most of the forums I am on have periods of ups and down but all of them get right on a SPAM problem.

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

I think he was saying that UTOF may have gotten kind of abandoned in favor of things like twitter, pinterest, and other forms of social media, not just facebook

Blog Entries

Twitter taking the place of fly tying forums?
    I don't get it. Don't see Pinterest as an alternative to forums either??

+ Reply to Thread