+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strap or spike soles??

Default Strap or spike soles??

I just recently moved near the North Umpqua River in Oregon. Much of its bottom is very slippery moss and hardened clay. I would be interested in opinions on strap on sandals with cleats as opposed to insole boot cleats. Also what about ceramic metallic spikes vs tungsten carbide. The object isn't so much cost as it is breaking my 68 year old body.
    SweetStreamS

I have the slip on type for my waders when fishing the North Umpqua. They have the ceramic spikes. I went with a pair of slip over your boot type that Cabela's sells. I already had boot foot waders and didn't want to spend more money buying new waders with cleats. Cabela's sells replacement spikes for the ones I purchased. I have not broke any off yet and they seem to work very well for me. If I was to buy new waders I would go with the stocking foot type and buy a pair of wading boots with the felt sole that has the spikes also. What ever you choose will be better than no cleats on the North Umpqua.

Rocky

Sweetstreams,

You're going to love living on the NU. After living in Glide for 35 years, I moved away a year and a half ago and I really miss that river.

The sandals vs. studded boots is a matter of personal preference. Both will work well on the slippery rocks of the NU. The advantage of sandals is that you can take them off if you don't need them (hiking to the spot you're going to fish, being in a driftboat and not worrying about marring the finish). You can also use them with new boots when you replace your old ones which saves some $$$. The disadvantages are the additional weight-- almost like wearing two pairs of boots-- and the fact that the sandals with studs alone (no felt or aquastealth) can be very slippery on some surfaces, i.e. dry rocks with a slope to them. The studs alone act like little ice skates.

Hope you enjoy your new home.

Dean

+ Reply to Thread