+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help !!

Default Need Help !!

I'm going to tie some clouser minnows with stinger hooks. All I have seen is them tied with 30 lb braided line (big $$$) of course I do not have any so can I use 30 lb mono instead ???
    Thanks Steve-stabgnid

I don't know the species for which you are fishing, but I fish for trout and I use beading wire I get from hobby stores like Michael's, JoAnn's Fabrics?.

Steve,

I bought a 150 yd spool of Spectra braided line on Ebay for $7.00; I'm not one to splurge, but I thought that was a pretty good deal. Stuff worked great on flies I used up in Alaska.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Steve -

Yes, of course you can use 30# mono, if that's what you have, and it should work just fine.

There are a lot of variables to consider in building a fly with a stinger hook, including such things as are you going to dress the stinger hook or leave it bare, how far behind the front hook are you going to attach the stinger, are you going to place beads on the mono (or whatever material is used to attach the stinger) and if so, how many beads, etc.

In the end, however, for me it all comes down to I want the stinger hook attached so that it has some freedom to move, but not so much that it gets tangled frequently on my front hook. And , of course you don't want it to break off or come loose. Other than that, there isn't anything magical about the material used to attach the stinger hook.

John

Or you can PM me your address and I will send you a couple of yards of 30# braid. I use it on my buzz bait rod.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

+ Reply to Thread