+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass Fly's???? What's Best:???

Default Bass Fly's???? What's Best:???

More Newbie Stuff: Been fishing the Independence Creek in W. Texas. Beautiful stream feed, rock bottom w/ one of few Gaudalupe stock around. Found that an Olive Wooly Booger in Sz 4 worked for awhile. Yesterday I could litterly drag it over them and there was no take.

What other sub acquatic fly's for bass do y'all like?a

Also, when and what size split shot to use????

Sorry, last question, how do ya rig one of those trout worms to catch, what hook and hook to hook it?

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!

------------------
    Thanks and Gig'em
    Mark Fairchild

Dear Mark,

I really like Clouser swimming nymphs and Clouser crayfish for subsurface bass fishing in streams.

Swimming nymph [url=http://www.danica.com/FLYTIER/tdidas/clouser_swimming_nymph.htm:ea7b6]http://www.danica.com/FLYTIER/tdidas/clouser_swimming_nymph.htm[/url:ea7b6]

Crayfish [url=http://shop.flyfishing.about.com/fly_archive/details/392.htm:ea7b6]http://shop.flyfishing.about.com/fly_archive/details/392.htm[/url:ea7b6]

I like the swimming nymphs in olive, rusty brown, and tan. They are good panfish flies too. I like the crayfish in olive and tan.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Wow! Yeah Baby, I can see that those would be great! That nymph would be truly nasty in Charturese. Now, I gotta learn to tie, bummer, THANKS! for the insight into those two patterns.

------------------
    Thanks and Gig'em
    Mark Fairchild

i fished yesterday and caught three largemouths on a Wolly Bugger. I have used the Clouser Crawfish also. The Wolly Bugger is size 10 to 12 and the Crawfish size 6. I use a floating line, short leader 6 to 7 foot (lots of weeds) and let the fly sink for a minute or two and twitch it in. I also caught bluegill and a 23 inch channel cat, all on the same fly, same water, same day, same way. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 10 July 2006).]

I'd say a chart./white Clouser minnow, a lead eyed Murray Hellgramite, and a crayfish pattern. Those, along with typical trout nymphs and straemers and of course, wooly buggers and you should be pretty well set.
    I usually don't use shot, as most of the patterns are pretty heavily weighted. If I do need extra weight, I usually use a sinking poly-leader. Try various retrieves, slow strips, fast erratic strips, lifts etc. Around here, i've found a slow retrieve to work the best.
    Not sure what you mean by "Trout Worms".

Clouser minnow ( I had to say that, he's local) Don't forget poppers, sometimes the action is on top.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Mark,

I know that you specifically asked about sub-surface lures for bass but I would suggest that you try surface lures particularly in the early morning and the the evening. I have done very well with large gurgle pops tied on #1 or #2 hooks with long tail to increase their size. I also like crease flies which are a saltwater fly that works great for fresh water bass. Try um, you'll like um. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Y'all truly know your stuff! I have seen the craw fish and will order some. I tried the Clouser minnow in White/Chart and HIT THE STINKIN fish on the head, water is really that clear, and drug it over one with NO, ZIP, ZERO, NADA action. They may have just not be hungry. Clouser has in fact perfromed for me in ponds.

------------------
    Thanks and Gig'em
    Mark Fairchild

There's a little fly called a Gill Buster, a zonker strip tied Clouser style, that is a dandy underwater bass fly. Try it. JGW

My go-to bass fly continues to be a Polar Fiber minnow tied in chartruese over white on a size four or six hook. I like to add 3D eyes to add to the realism and just because it really "finishes" the fly.

Jim Smith

+ Reply to Thread