+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wading Staff

I've run a series of different wading staffs with about in my fly fishing time, all of them having some good and bad features. Admittedly my wading these days is in much shallower waters, I try and "think" knee deep water! So for the past fifteen years (at least), my best wading staff has been a straight length of cedar (that I cut myself), maybe mid-chest high. The cedar is light and strong, and I've drilled a hole through maybe 10" from the top where I've run a piece of looped bungee cord through so it can attach to my wading belt.

Where I wade most is in rocky streams where the rocks are not only an obstacle course but many have a slick moss covering. Still have a metal collapsible staff (forgot what brand name), that I've used in the past, and what I don't like about it (beside being too short), is the metallic sounds it makes while picking my way around about the rocks. Now if I can hear the sound OUTSIDE of the water, I'm sure it really travels underwater. I can just hear the trout calling out ..."he's back!" ~
    Anyway, the cedar staff is (#1) - very economical. (#2) - strong and durable. (#3) - doubles as a walking stick while camp side. (#4) it's O.K. for the girls I go with!

Agreed, for a folding staff, the Simms staff is great, even dare I say, better than the Folstaff.

Personally, I only use the folding staffs when travelling via plane. My first choice for a staff is a non-folding one, because it might break if I took an axe to it, but it will not malfunction otherwise. My favorite Hart's River Stalker is locally produced although you could make you own copy if so inclined.

3. Default

As a long-time FolStaf user, I've found sticking of the sections to be only a minor problem and I've never had the sections pull apart. I don't like the idea of banging it against a rock to aid disassembly; that sounds like a recipe for current or future damage. When the sections do resist coming apart I've found that pressing the joint against my knee, then rotating the shaft 180 degrees to do the same thing at the opposite side will release the joint every time without resorting to forceful measures.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    I only use the folding staffs when travelling via plane.
    This. Space is at a premium on an upcoming trip and the Folstaff doesn't take up too much room.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    My first choice for a staff is a non-folding one, because it might break if I took an axe to it, but it will not malfunction otherwise.
    I'd prefer to just poke around in the woods and find a proper stick, which is what I may do for local fishing.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

I guess all of us have picked up a nice staff in the woods now and then, but I have a Forstaf and have had the same problems described before. However, waxing helps and I'm not ready to give it up. I haven't resorting to banging yet, but that might be in my future. No solution here.
    God Bless America

I have done all of the above with my Folstaf except waxing, so thanks for the tip folks!!! I find it to be an indispensable piece of gear on the river or stream. It is also a great tool for descending and ascending the oft steep banks that get me to/from some of my favorite holes.It also aids to clear briars and spider webs along the path!
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I'm not much of a Trout fisherman, and have no experience with wading staffs. However, I can offer a little advice.

I used to be one of those crazy nuts you see running around with a metal detector. I even had a waterproof unit, looking for jewelry in swimming areas. The unit I had was a diving model, and you could shorten or extend the main shaft quite a bit. However, that shaft would get some grit in it, and seize up. The easiest "cure" was to twist and pull the shaft while submerged in the water. If it really got gritty, remove the lower shaft from the upper completely, and rinse it out.

That might work with all y'alls collapsible wading staffs....

If you purchased your Folstaf new in the last five or more years and bought one still in the package folded up, they mention wax in the instructions and include a small piece of wax with the staff in the package.

From the FAQ on the Folstaf website:

"How can I prevent the joints of my staff from sticking?

Paraffin wax rubbed on the male ends of the mating parts, just every now and then, will banish sticking. You can modulate the amount and frequency of waxing to suit your preference.

You can also purchase small packets of joint lube from:

Rocky Mountain Amblers (#RT12 & #RT34):
    www.rockymountainamblers.com or (303) 793-0719"

(note: the "Joint Lube" is nothing more than a small hunk of wax sold for $ .90)

To extend the life of the shock cords, Folstaf also recommends storing the staff in the extended position (when convenient) to reduce the stretch. Eventually the shock cords will wear out, but I now store mine extended until I get to the stream where I fold it up and put it in the holster until needed.

My advice: Don't leave one folded up or extended for long periods of time in a hot car if possible. The heat is murder on the rubber in the shock cords. If you need to have a folding staff at the ready in a vehicle as a semi-permanent fixture, buy the Simms staff which uses plastic coated steel cable or the Orvis Ripcord staff that uses paracord.

Both are nice products that work well although they aren't quite as sturdy as a Folstaf, don't fold up as small and require TWO hands to deploy however...

...the joints will never stick nor will they pull apart if stuck in the mud or between rocks.
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 07-16-2015 at 02:07 PM.

I just can trust those fold-up thingies, although I know many folks do. Here's mine...

Throw the loop over my shoulders and the handles right there, tip is weighted so it stays down there. Maybe not as handy, but real secure!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I'm not sure what its called but my wife has several little rubber pad things that she uses to open jars that stick. That might help you to grip the staff to pull it apart. You got me beat, I only had 3 knee surgeries, but I'm not complaining. that and wax is what I do, so far not much trouble. hope that helps.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

+ Reply to Thread