+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting "Parachuting" Method

Default Interesting "Parachuting" Method

You probably saw this already, but this is an interesting way of hackling parachute flies. I've used super glue on the post to stiffen it before winding the hackle and applied a drop after tying off, but not UV resin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-7XX-xPuTA

Joe

Thanks for posting this, Joe, might revolutionize my parachutes.

I have seen the methods of just using super glue on the thread and not using a whip finish and "never having it fail", but for some reason I have a fear of the glue dissolving or weakening or whatever over time and not trusting it. I may be completely wrong, but I trust the resin remaining hard longer a lot more than I do the super glue.

Joe

I really like this new method and I am wondering what the bonding agent is and what brand the curing light might be. Is it sold as a set? I have never seen such a compact unit in any of the catalogs I receive or in any of the fly shops I visit. In terms of issues with the glue/bonding agent any one know if it discolors or cracks when subjected to coldwater?
    Gerri

It's another UV resin that he has been using in his videos for a while now. Resin and light are together to be more convenient.

Joe

I bought some of the Bondic resin to try and it's pretty expensive compared to some of the brands that are readily available. For .14 oz it is $12. That being said, the little light is pretty impressive even though there is a fair bit of tack on the resin once it cures.

In regards to using resin on a parachute post, I'd be afraid to add weight to my dry fly if I were tying a sparse pattern. I prefer the super glue method.

Cheech,

I was wondering about the weight factor. Is resin heavier than super glue? Hardening it shouldn't increase its weight, but I wouldn't put as much on as he does in the video. Almost the entire parachute post is drenched.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Billingsley View Post
    Cheech,

I was wondering about the weight factor. Is resin heavier than super glue? Hardening it shouldn't increase its weight, but I wouldn't put as much on as he does in the video. Almost the entire parachute post is drenched.

Joe
    Yeah... I think he uses too much. we use resin on chironomids because it helps them cut through the water etc. I'd probably have issue with putting that much super glue on a post too. When I use super glue I barely use enough to wet the thread that ties off the hackle.

I think it's an unnecessary step that will add a lot of time to the tie. I see no advantage to this method. But, it's fine if you want to tinker around. This is just my opinion.

It certainly adds weight and volume, and will very likely result in leader twist. That's why I like my parachutes as thin and slender as possible.
    The UV stuff is fine when used very sparingly on a fragile quill body, though.

Searching Dun2sm.jpg

+ Reply to Thread